Powder Coating a Grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookking

Sous Chef
I have a Bubba Keg that has seen a lot of grilling. I tried to clean the outside grease and junk a while back and it just really screwed up the finish. Anybody ever have a grill or smoker powder coated? The Keg is insulated so it doesn't get as hot as a single walled grill so I don't think it would require high heat paint but if the guy thinks it does that won't be a problem.

Ahh ok..thanks. I have heard the term before somewhere. Was thinking it was made out of a beer keg or something..lol. I gots to stay more current on stuff. Double yes on the high heat paint T. I have had good success getting Dupont Stove and grill paint to stick on stuff which do not get real hot. The places where it gets really hot it do not stick at all. The hot spots get grease. Get flat black color and apply thick with a brush. Clean it good before all that of course. Only place I would trust to use regular old paint is for places which do not get hot at all..wood racks etc. Best of fortunes.

From what I can come up with, all powder coatings are not the same. I have a "grill" for holding peppers upright in the smoker/grill that is powder coated and it's been holding up for years. I can't find any references right now, but I remember reading about some "well knowm" brand of grill that came with the grates powder coated. Maybe it was a bad idea and that's why I can't find it now? The grates are constantly subjected to the fire/flame while my chilly grill isn't???

This might be what you heard about, BigWheel.

Let me google that for you

Last edited:
I would stay away from the powder coating, it is basically plastic. It is not used in the food industry for this reason, it can leach into your food very easily. I would stick with paint.

What is a Bubba Keg?
https://www.google.com/search?q=bub...mk8AS8rIGgBw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1272&bih=506

Here is one example in case you are askeered to click the link. :(

images

Currenly sitting here looking at its green twin. Small world. I hate that thing. What happen to the quart sized Alladins? Now those were good cups which did not require silly washers/gaskets etc. They was talkng of bbq pits I think.

Back
Top Bottom