Pit Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KyBlueBBQ

Senior Cook
Okay I dont have any Pictures yet... and I'm not really all THAT far along with it...but I'll post up some Info - and im goin out to get some pics as soon as my camera is charged up.

Its prior life was a 8ft Propane tank - I have no clue how much it held, the ID tag is unreadable and half rusted away.

Its mounted on a 6x12 trailer Frame - used to be a Pop Up Camper. Frame has been modified - New axle, springs, hangers were added. Since I put a new axle under it, I ordered one thats 7 feet wide and 3500lb springs to Hold the weight. The Tank is sitting on 2x6 Cross Members.
Ive got to flip the axle to the top side of the springs to get it to sit down lower.

The tank is offset to the drivers side. In Front of the tank will be two slide out burners, Cooler Storage Fridge, beer Tap. On the Pass Side will be a Enclosed wood Storage box (never Really understood Why all the Commercial tanks use expanded metal boxes with no tops so your wood gets all wet!) and a Sink/countertop in the front corner. Of course up in the middle will be the Roof Supports, but the roof will probably not be done till the spring.

I'm pickin up the metal for the firebox next week - Thankfully I have a Really good Metal Supplier locally. Great to work with, and since I buy pretty regular from em, they dont charge me to do custom cuts!

Okay I've rambled Enough.. I'm off to get pics - and goto the store

Heres some of hte pics. Like I said the firebox will be done next week - I'm going to take it tmw and get it totally empty.

I'm doin the cutting on mine, Ive talked with some different tool makers and it looks like the best method for my budget.. a sawzall with some blades from Milwaukee. They are supposed to be good to 3/8" metal, and should last if I keep the blade Oiled.

7" cut off wheels eh??? I'll have to look into those - I called about renting one of the gas powered cut off getups.. but it was too pricey.

Tanks Clean..and will be full o water..leastwise part of it.

KyBlueBBQ said:
7" cut off wheels eh??? I'll have to look into those - I called about renting one of the gas powered cut off getups.. but it was too pricey.

Tanks Clean..and will be full o water..leastwise part of it.

Swing it by the house here....I'll cut what ya need with my plasma ;)

Might be a bit of a drive...specially pullin that thing.. LOL My plasma aint big enough.. We'll get somethin figured out.

Well I got the doors cut, went with two doors, each is just under 30" wide. Figured if I went with one big door..it'd weigh more than me.. and I'm a big feller!

Gonna burn it out this weekend... Supposed to be cold, be a good way to keep warm!

Both cut off wheels and the Sawzall... the cut off wheels dont like to go all the way thru the 1/2 thick metal.. so I cut it almost all the way and finished with the saw..

KyBlueBBQ said:
Both cut off wheels and the Sawzall... the cut off wheels dont like to go all the way thru the 1/2 thick metal.. so I cut it almost all the way and finished with the saw..

That tank is a HALF INCH thick :shock: ????
I gotta see some pics of that
!

Havent been able to put much time in on it latley. Workin alot of double and a few triple shifts..good for the paycheck..not so good for my projects!

I was going to make my own Hinges, but went with some garden gate hinges instead. They work great! Got them all welded on, and the rest of the door opening cut and viola! It opens/Closes. I'll get to burning it out this week and get the firebox put together tomorrow hopefully.. I'll snap a few pics too, forgot the camera today.

Oh and the tank metal is 7/16" Thick.. glad I didnt go for one big door!!

Yep! taking home some wood to burn it out this weekend... Got the firebox 3/4 done today and the second door totally cut out. Its really shaping up!

Still gotta order my handles.. Anybody got some suggestions on where to go for those???

The steel for mine was 33 dollars for each 2x2 Sheet of 1/4 Steel.. I plan to add some bracing on the bottom and top and maybe the sides..to keep the warpage down to a minimum.

Get some more time on it tomorrow. Found some GREAT cut off wheels from DeWalt.. these things work great and cut quick too!

Wished I had got to you in time to turn this beastes on its end and make yourself a righteous and agile upright direct with or w/o the optional water pan. It mo closely obeys the laws of physics and thermodynamics than do them offset creosote factories. Give me a little advance notice next time you get creative. :LOL:

bigwheel

Captain Caveman said:
KyBlueBBQ said:
Yep! taking home some wood to burn it out this weekend... Got the firebox 3/4 done today and the second door totally cut out. Its really shaping up!

Still gotta order my handles.. Anybody got some suggestions on where to go for those???

I don't know if you want to go this route, but we used cedar handles on some of the offsets we made. To attach them to the smoker, we used 1 1/2" pipe caps and turned the cedar down to fit inside. We used a 1" spacer between the smoker lid and the pipe cap.
I'd look to cut up the "springs" from an old welding chipping hammer....air cooled they dont' get hot

Sry for the delay, with the approaching holiday Season, I get to work 7 days a week! Yippee..

It started out as a 4x8 sheet..but Ive got six 2x2 squares. I would check with your local steel supplier, most of the time (ive run across a few that dont like the public) they are more than happy to fill small orders, do custom cuts, etc etc etc. I had them cut those sheets, cost me 33.06 for each one of em. Pretty Reasonable IMO.

Back
Top Bottom