Ok..trying this smoker one last time....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very kewlish charcoal pan wished I had one like that. I used a perforated SS steam table pan for about 5 years in the bottom of the upright on my pit. Worked purty good..eventually burned a hole in it but all a person has to do is lay a piece of expanded metal grate material over the hole. I am betting them is some fruits and/or veggies in the water pan. Surely a person wouldn't put wood chunks in there :shock:

bigwheel

Ok, one other suggestion is that you could throw a handful right onto the coals for more smoke flavor or you could double wrap some in aluminum foil, poke a small hole in the foil and throw the packet directly onto the coals.

I'm just not sure how much smoke flavor you'll get with leaving the chips in the water, however, if you've done that before and are happy with the results, then forget everything I said. :LOL:

nhra...I don't think you are getting a wood flavored steam. I understand the idea but I seriously doubt that is actually happening.

Lose the water and get some good smoke on there :D

Good luck with the cook... 8)

great idea hope it works. the idea for the charcoal is great and this will allow for you to cook less stir fried vegetables and more meat. Good thinking :)

Tim

I don't remember seeing anyone saying "Use lump charcoal, not briquettes!!" That was the first, and likely most important, thing I've learned that I didn't know. Burns hotter, slower, with less ash. Royal Oak and Wicked have very good reputations, Cowboy is not well thought of.
Apparently you are in DE or Philly?
I'm in Phoenix. Everything is "Previously Frozen" here. Including all the transplanted Midwesterners!
No offense meant--just the fax!
dave

I always found in my ECB was that all the charcoal had to be ashed over to get a good steady temperature and briquettes always worked best for me. Now this smoker from Brinkmann is at least a step in the right direction with the dampers, it's a shame they wouldn't learn from Weber and but a better charcoal pan and a way to remove the ash that falls from the bowl.

NHRA, contrary to what some spew on the internet, the water pan isn't creating a humid environment...or at least not one that would make your ribs turn dry if you didn't use the same amount of water the next time.

Many people have gone to using sand in their water pans. Remember, the water is there to act as a heat sink...allowing for a more consistent temperature within the cooker. It's not there to add moisture to your ribs, chicken, brisket or pork butts.

If you maintain the proper temps through the cook, your ribs will be just as good the next time! TRUST ME!! :D

hay buddy try this,
I use fire brick, on the bottem and standing up on the side now you can get F B at a builder supply or tractor supply, standard 31/2 x 6 x 1 thick and cut them down to fit or call a refactor supply (thay rebuild furances in factorys n schools) you can get bigger sizes or thay can cast the size you need,($$$ i'll cut them to size!!) than use wood, now remeber if your cooker sits in the sun n out of the wind and gets up to 120 deg.with out any fire you only have to bump it up to your desired temp. two ways i do use the wood (1) if it's good,dry n seasoned i'll burn it in the fire box,, but i use an offset fire box. (2) but if it is not seasoned or damp i'll burn it down then shovle it in the fire box and if you use fire brickyou won't burn out the bottem and the brick holds the heat for hrs let us know how it works

Back
Top Bottom