ok gloss or flat,,, black or another color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honcho

Senior Cook
ya know i see some real pretty barbies, some real works of art, on this site an others also, you should be proud, but as I surf around, one thing comes to mind I love to build things. My question has to do with paint ( I USE 1200 DEGREE RUTLAND FLAT BLACK) what do you think flat or glossy black or another color heat or reg rust paint does it make that much of a differance me I'm not sure anymore

Of the many pits I've seen through the years, IMHO it's flat black and chrome or stainless steel or black with red accents or red trailer. Just my .02, think it looks sharp.

I vote for flat black too. I have some Dupont 1300 bbq and stove paint. It works good except for the firebox. Just gets too hot for it and burns it off. Gave up on trying to keep paint on it many moons ago. Now I just rub it with oil and squirt it with PAM after each cook and it is still slightly warmish..not hot. After a rain storm and sometimes just when I think about it. Turns it to a purty nice shade of black sorta like a cast iron skillet. Have tried various other high temp paints on the firebox and nothing will last mo than a few cook sessions.

bigwheel

I'm thinking looks, heat control,and maint., now we know that flat black asorbes more heat then , lets say glossy white, right but that works in the sun,,how many cooks are in all sun, most are in shade or sundown,right,, specialy @ comps we cook all night to make turn in time so I guess what I,m asking is it worth us to limit our color to the norm. and if we do is it in the name of wood/charcoal consumetion, so what is it going to take 1 or 2 more splits, or one more basket of charcoal,, or nothing @ all. but only in the sun,, What got me thinking, was as i look around I see glossy blacks WSM and glossy BIG GREEN EGGS an others painted glossy, which is no doubt easry to clean,, also looks better,, and saves labor time leaving more time for famliy, friends n bbq THANKS I'm just thinking outside the box

yes it is,, your right,, I guess I'm not asking the right question, it's time I repaint my handmade barbie so why do we paint them flat black why not glossy white or any glossy color for that fact.. it would be easyer to clean and look better,, so why flat black is it just because or is it a benfit to do so?????????

Well I may have missed it in the narrative but think some of this is influenced by whut kinda pit we speaking of. If you cooking on an offset with an uninsulated firebox you paint the marority of the pit flat black so it will sorta color co-oridinate with the cast iron skillet type black of unpainted and greased up metal which has got hot a bunch of times and poses as the firebox. Now you want to paint something insulated which will hold paint... I'm all in favor of baby blue powder coat with the 12 point buck taking a drink outta the babbling brook whilst dodging a coiled up snattle rake. Sorta like a Jamie Geer artsy fartsy model. Assuming yall aint just teasing I dont think the color of the pit is gonna have much impact on its cooking properties..but now a purty white one would sure stay kewlish in the sun. Yall let me know when you get it figgered out:)

bigwheel

honcho said:
yes it is,, your right,, I guess I'm not asking the right question, it's time I repaint my handmade barbie so why do we paint them flat black why not glossy white or any glossy color for that fact.. it would be easyer to clean and look better,, so why flat black is it just because or is it a benfit to do so?????????

Back
Top Bottom