New to site so I have a smoker mod question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bishop952000

Assistant Cook
Good morning and Merry Christmas All
A little about my smoker. I have a Masterbuilt 7in1 smoker which I received as a gift awhile back. I've done ribs that have come out fine and pork loin which has come out fine but controlling the temp was a chore to say the least. I've used the propane feature for both and TRIED charcoal. I stress tried because I cannot seem to control the temp at all due to one air vent at the lid and a big hole at the bottom (allows the flame from the propane to be used). I am wanting to try a DigiQ DXII and realize I will need to drill a hole to fit the fan adaptor and will need to seal up the big hole at the bottom. In Monday I sent The BBQ Guru (DigiQ guys) an email asking a question but have yet to hear back from them, so I'll ask you all. Following is the email I sent.
So I'm thinking about purchasing one of your packages and and wondering if you could steer me in the right direction regarding your models. I have (for now) a Masterbuilt 7 in 1 smoker/grill and am wondering which product will work. This smoker has NO air vent on the bottom (only one is on the lid), and a very small door to add any chips/charcoal. So far I've smoked ribs and pork tenderloin multiple times and they've all turned out very good, but I had to check my temps very often. My last tenderloin I had to finish on my grill because I was fighting temps ALL day and just didn't have the patients any longer (total time JUST in the smoker...4.5 hours).
At some point I want to start some brisket, pork butts, chicken and just whatever we feel like eating. I am just concerned about the longer cook times of these meats after spending that much time on a small/medium sized loin. I've seen some YouTube videos on your product and I am impressed, but they were all mostly on Weber, Big Green Eggs(either of which will be my next smoker) and some horizontal indirect smokers. If I have to drill a hole in my smoker now to fit one of your products in, then so be it, I would just like some input from some pros. Thanks for your time and I am looking forward to purchasing one of your products.

Thanks for any input and apologize for such a long first post. I look forward to any suggestions and Q on!

Izzy

Hi bishop.....your eminence , I should say. Do yourself a favor and spend your money on a good smoker. The WSM is a terrific choice. Perfect temps rock steady all day. If you're fussy about your temps like me you will just drive yourself batty trying to modify that bad design enough to make it perform correctly and even with one of those fan units attached it probably never will. There are other kinds as well , but for the money , I don't think you can do better than the WSM .

Haha, Max as I said, somewhere in my post, the Masterbuilt was a gift. Bigwheel, I got a bit over zealous. Long story short, looking at a DigiQ to help regulate the airflow but the MB has a big hole at the bottom and only 1 vent that is on the lid. I am thinking down the road I will purchase a BGE or a WSM.

Well some of us is still trying to figger out what is a Masterbilt? That surely aint the cheesy mis injuneered electricfied models which put the chips and water on the same level. From what can be gathered from skimming it seems like it runs on propane too. Whats up with that? If the fire spank uncooled metal it wont last long. Worked thataway on Brinkmann Eight n Ones anyway. Still got chunks of that including the turkey burner around here somewhere.

It's a 7 in 1 contraption, runs on either propane OR charcoal. I've only been able to keep a stable temp using the propane, due to the big hole at the bottom the charcoal has a been miss or hit, mostly miss. I know I can fashion something to close the hole up because I want to use charcoal and I feel that since my in-laws come over from time to time and they are the ones who gifted this to me, I want to give it at least a few more cooks on. My original question was regarding a DigiQ DX II and what size would work for me directed to the folks at BBQ Guru. I know I can modify this current one and was wondering about an airflow regulator. Thanks for taking one to read my insanely long posts guys. Merry Chirstmas and Q-on.

I'm not sure what size fan they recommend for a wsm but that whatever size that is should work. You'll obviously need to seal that up and if the charcoal basket is anything like a brinkman smoke n grill, you'll probably have to address that to get some air under the coal. Also if the lid leaks, that's no good either. You could always build yourself a UDS and drag out this propane rig to burn burgers on when the in-laws come over.

Yeah a little bbq grate across the hole should bridge the gap. Never used a automated fan blower gizmo. The top R2D2 part of the Brinkmann made the best chicken blaster money could buy. Trying to use it for a gasser which called for lava rocks in the fire pan was not feasible. I would plan on using the burner for some other noble purpose. Should make you a fine smoker I think. The big hole in the direct center of the pan is how they used to vent ECB's. Worked great till some dumb yup burned down his deck when a coal fell out of it. Now they give them no air and they dont work right without mods. They also aint worth a caca for trying to grill stuff.

No dissin here Sir. Got various parts to about twenty of the aforesaid brand of fine cooking instruments strung out over the back yard. Hear ya on the Ethanol. Bound to beat Gulf Lite when it come to getting the fire lit. Salud. lol

Bishop just give them a call. U can get the party Guru for like $130 . THey have all kinds of adapters, and can hook you up with the right one

Thanks a lot fellas. I no longer need to modify the Masterbuilt as my sweet girlfriend bought me a 18.5" WSM for Christmas! I'm going to season it this weekend and if I have time on Sunday I'll smoke something up. Thank you Baby Jesus.

Does that girlfriend have a sister? I don't need a WSM (or any new smokers for that matter), but I could use some other BBQing toys...

BOB
PS
You'll be very happy with your WSM and there's a bunch of people 'round here that know the tricks and shortcuts to makin' 'em run better.

Back
Top Bottom