New to site so I have a smoker mod question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well have to disagree on some of this stuff. I think the water pan do add moisture. So there. lol
U talkin addin moisture to the meat or smoker?
I'd say it adds moisture to the smoker, which stops the top of the meat from getting dry :razz:

Well you seem to be agreeing with the smart folks here..lol. I have some real well entrenched theories on where pit moisture comes from..whut it does inside there etc. I will give only once quick example then an interested person might need to use algebra to connect the dots. Onliest person I ever seen in my life who could cook an edible nekked brisket on a big long burner cooked over 15 gallons of water. What is up with that? Did all that moisture come from his 7 pound brisket? I think not..lol.

Well we're supposed to get some more snow here this weekend so nothing smoking this weekend, however the whole brick/sand thing has intrigued me enough to try it on my next smoke session (and just because I live in CO doesn't mean in a pothead). :). The whole chicken came out awesome as well as the ribs (two different rubs for two different slabs) I had smoked this past weekend, so the chicken will be done again and we also have a brisket from the steer we had butchered so we'll see how things come out. This forum rocks.

Ahh glad to clarify that geography issue..lol. Hey M1 just think far NW Texas. Glad your cook went well Bishop.

x2 The only thing liquid does is make a mess.
If u want to add liquid - drink it
Yup. You have to inject moisture or brine to get more liquid inside the meat.

Think of a long braised pot roast that your grandmama used to make... It can be dry as shoe leather while it was cooked in a liquid the entie time.

Moisture in the air/environment from spraying, water pans, etc can possibly slow down the moisture from leaving the meat, but it CAN'T add any back to the meat.

BOB

So I was going to try and smoke another chicken today but pulled a bone head move. I went to start my brickets but didn't have enough. Made a run to Home Depot (6 mins away) to pick up a bag. No blue bag so in a hurry I grabbed the black bag. Started my chimney up and, whoosh! Didn't think anything of it because I was thinking about my cook time. After I put the lit coals into the basket,whoosh!!! Again. The black bag, if I read the bag, has lighter fluid already added. I don't like the way the coals are smelling so I'm not going to put my chicken in there. Oh we'll, I guess that way I learn (my girlfriend is ALWAYS telling me that). At least I have Friday off as well so I'll try again then.

Yeah, those starter fluid soaked briquets are crap man, the fluid sucks too, stay awayyyyyyyyyyyyy from those...

Smoke two of my best chickens yet! Some Aurther Bryant's rub and that was it! Oh and the brine I had them in over night.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 250
Back
Top Bottom