New to site so I have a smoker mod question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha, yep fellas, she has a sister and a mother who are both married. So there was some mix up in shipping it so I didn't get it last weekend. Hoping ill get it before this weekend. Been really wanting to do up some ribs and whole chicken.

Serious amount of reading here and just when I was gonna tell ya how to fix everything, your GF buys ya a wsm.....what a Woman!!
dj

Woo-Hoo!! Picked the WSM up tonight, and just finished putting it together. Tomorrow I season it and Sunday it's whole chickens and ribs.

It's so friggen cold here (-4 when I lit the brickets) that I'm having a difficult time getting the temp back up to 250ish. Maybe I shouldn't have put the water in the pan after all.

Half a brick? Like a red brick? What does that do? I use the water to keep things moist in there, does the brick achieve the same results?

HOT water in the pan, if you use water at all. Even in the summer, if you use water, use HOT water. Your water heater in the house is more efficient for heating water than your WSM.

BOB
you'll learn....

The water is a heat sink...it helps to stabilize the temperature swings. Same with the brick (or sand in the water pan, covered with foil).

BOB

This site is so informative that I had indeed put HOT water in my pan (had read some other thread where hot water is best) and had read about the sand and brick method as well. I guess my main concern using anything but water is the moisture of my meats. I do, after a few hours of smoke, wrap my meats in foil with some butter, apple juice or honey. I also spritz from time to time BEFORE I wrap. Is that enough to ensure a moist meat? Thanks for all the help fellas.

Moisture comes from within the meat, not externally. You can't add moisture back into dry meat. Haven't you eve had dried out pot roast?

BOB

This site is so informative that I had indeed put HOT water in my pan (had read some other thread where hot water is best) and had read about the sand and brick method as well. I guess my main concern using anything but water is the moisture of my meats. I do, after a few hours of smoke, wrap my meats in foil with some butter, apple juice or honey. I also spritz from time to time BEFORE I wrap. Is that enough to ensure a moist meat? Thanks for all the help fellas.

if you can believe alton brown....and i do..., the moisture comes from the meat and meat can dry out in a moist environment just as easily as a dry one. so! that being said , water turns out to be a messy PITA and sometimes too good of a heat sink. when i want to cook low and slow now , i foil the pan and put a foil wrapped half brick in it. my cooker sits at 250 all day.
when i cook chicken , i take the pan out altogether and cook at 300 or so....hot and fast is better for chicken. and your meat came out good ? thats awesome. try the brick or sand sometime and see how it works.

x2 The only thing liquid does is make a mess.
If u want to add liquid - drink it

Well have to disagree on some of this stuff. I think the water pan do add moisture. So there. lol

Back
Top Bottom