New Tel-Tru & My Mobile WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toby Keil

Executive Chef
Greetings all. My Tel_Tru finally arrived and I made the mod as well as this handy little rolling cart. I was getting really tired of hauling each piece from the garage to the back yard so I went to Osh and purchased a furniture dolly and the round piece of wood. I used deck screws to attach the wood to the dolly then painted it black. Now all I do is open the garage and wheel it out to the backyard. Here are a few pictures.

Larry Wolfe said:
Great job Toby!

Hey Larry, received my Wolfe Rub on Friday and I my say mmmmmgooood! Added it to some steaks I grilled Friday night and tonight I’m smoking some beef ribs. I’ll definitely be ordering more when this batch runs out and it wont be long. Thanks.

ScottyDaQ said:
Looks good! Uhh you're gunna take it off the wood before using it right? :roll: :LOL:

Nope! I'm taking her out for a test run today and I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Are you worried that the wood may get too hot? If this happens then I'll perhaps cut a piece of tin or something then screw that on just under the charcoal bowl.

Sunday I took my WSM with the Tel_Tru and mobile cart modifications out for a test spin and I must say, both were a success. I love the accuracy of the new thermometer and the dial/face on the BQ 300 is really easy to read from a distance. The WSM cart worked great as well. Just opened the old garage door, wheeled it around the side of the house and I was ready to go. There was some worry from folks that the wood under the charcoal bowl may get hot but not the case at all. My wife and kids were itching for beef ribs so I cooked up two racks and man they were good, nice and moist on the inside. Attached are a few before and after pics. You will notice the ribs aren’t sauced, I prefer to brush my sauce on after but hey that’s just me.

Tannehill Kid said:
Good looking job on the wheel setup. I need to ask what is the average time can you get on one batch of charcoal using the WSM?

A few weeks ago I smoked a butt a fatty and some sausage using the minion method and it went for 12 hours + and I had coals left over. I started with a full ring of charcoal and 4 hunks of smoke wood around an empty tomato juice can (the top & bottom are cut out) and then I added about 15-20 hot coals in the can. Once they were burning really good I pulled out the can and assembled the WSM and once the temp reached 225 I added the butt. Held steady the whole day.

Back
Top Bottom