NEW SMOKER UP DATE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkin Pork

Senior Cook
Ok, getin close to the start of my big build (smoker) :idea: as soon as the snow melts, (damm you snow) :!: :twisted:
So, anyway.....the smoke chamber will be made of wood, 3ftw x 3ftd x 5ft high.
Im thinking on using my LPG burner from my soon to be old smoker, it's perfect for the job.

However, how can I better control the temperature...... with a thermostate system or something?

Also can I insulate my new smoker, nothing heavy just a bit of something....what can I use?

Cliff, Yah I've seem that before, thanks for reminding me, got a good mental note, that's just what I'm looking for, don't want to go heavy on the insulation...just a bit for those winter smokes.

wboogs, yah it is a cold smoker, however I will be smoking with propane heat sometime, temps around, 200 -230 tops.

Just to let you know the lower area will me made out of brick and the smoking chamber sits on that....planning to figuring in plenty of fire protection for that lower area.

Also, builting my smoker in a special area in my back yard...it's the bomb...real cool .....plus no wifes allowed....except to bring me a beer! :P

I wish I could post pics, I got some good ones.....but Im always having trouble with pics...I can email them but thats it :cry:

Could any of these help you out at all?

http://text.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonlyre ... ehouse.pdf

Note: Some Fire Districts/Departments prohibit smoke houses constructed of combustible materials. Check with your local Fire District/Department for their requirements

From all I have read....Wooden smokehouses require an "outside" firebox and non-combustible (cement) smokehouses are allowed fireboxes inside.

It is also recommended that wooden smokehouses remain 50' min. from other structures and boundries..... and cement or metal ones 15' from structures and boundries.

I think your best bet for insulating your wooden smokehouse wood be to add some thin 1/2" or so slats on inside walls and go over that with another layer of tightly fit tongue and groove boards.

The air gap between the 2 should be more then enough insulation factor for what you're doing.

Smokey, those links are great....I did see the first 2 before and they are very helpful....however, I never saw that second link......I LIKE THAT! [smilie=a_bravo.gif]

Everything cool here with the fire depart, I've got friends and we dicuss my plans often.

I also think the idea with the slats is a good one......Darnn....why did I start this stupid post :shock: Now I'm so confused [smilie=a_doh.gif]

Well... 1 week till the ground breaking ceremony, sure hope I can straighten out my thoughts by then....(lookin through phone book for shrinks)

Well not sure why I keep trying to splain stuff. But if you really want to reach the temps you mention you aint cold smoking..your hot smoking aka smoke cooking. It would not be a good plan to involve plywood at such temps. I dont know whut yall smoke up there but I will take two bags sight unseen. Thanks.

bigwheel

Northsmoke said:
Cliff, Yah I've seem that before, thanks for reminding me, got a good mental note, that's just what I'm looking for, don't want to go heavy on the insulation...just a bit for those winter smokes.

wboogs, yah it is a cold smoker, however I will be smoking with propane heat sometime, temps around, 200 -230 tops.

Just to let you know the lower area will me made out of brick and the smoking chamber sits on that....planning to figuring in plenty of fire protection for that lower area.

Also, builting my smoker in a special area in my back yard...it's the bomb...real cool .....plus no wifes allowed....except to bring me a beer! :P

I wish I could post pics, I got some good ones.....but Im always having trouble with pics...I can email them but thats it :cry:

Bigwheel, I usually smoke (cold smoke) @ 60 to 80 degrees....However, from time to time I will hot smoke starting & 120 and working my way up to 225 tops....it all just depends on whats happening up here :shock: you know like howmany bags we can open [smilie=a_partyguy.gif]

I tryin to make my new smoker a good combo machine and I will not be using plywood or any materials containg glue, plastics or anything un-natural.

It will be made out of brick and rough sawn all natural 1" x 6" pine and of course nails and mortar [smilie=banana.gif]

I just got off the phone with a long time friend from Northern Vermont.
(East Corinth) Before I ended the call I asked him about their smokehouse they used to have. And I knew of someone looking for tips on building one.

I asked him how they insulated it. Well that question brought on stories of the smokehouse that didn't even pertain to the subject, but eventually he got back around to the question about insulation.

He said they covered their interior walls with old copper window screen and filled the walls with sawdust. Then said that relative humidity and dew points effect your smoking tremendously and that with the sawdust they could control the enviroment inside easier by occasionally wetting the sawdust walls.

He also said he seen other people use old burlap feed bags filled with small stones or stone dust and held in place with chicken wire between stud cavities... that they worked well being wet occasionally and worked great for holding heat and controlling an even temperature.

Of course being an original old school farmer he had to remind me not to ever paint any part of the smokehouse and said..." If you think it would kill you to eat it...then don't use it".... wondering if he ever ate a burlap bag full of rocks before!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: or maybe that's why they used sawdust is theirs.

It's always cool to hear that old timer reminisce about old times and go off on tangents about other things. I think he must be about 86-87 now...but still has a memory of a 20 year old.

How do you plan on heating your smokehouse up?

First of all, the saw dust insulation is interesting :scratch I may try that one.
As for heat and smoke
Cold smokin I plan having a fire box about six off to the side with perhaps a 12" x 12" tunnel to flow the smoke, when I start smokin with heat I'm thinkin on have another fire box on the other side with a propane burner.

Well I couldnt pull up either one of the pdf files for some reason..guess I got a defective cornfuser or something:) From the jist of whut I can understand the game plan is to create some type of nostalgic work of art from the day's of yore here which involves bricks wood and dirt tunnels. Now is this hot or cold? From a standpoint of functionality I would not consider this the best laid plans of mice and men..which as we all know oftimes goes awry (sic). Now if you gonna set up a vintage period piece type historic reinactment and charge the kindergarten class .50 a head to come take a looky...whilst mama spins yarn on the loom I can comprende. Yall straighten out my thinking here. Thanks.

bigwheel

Ok step one of the big smoker build is almost over, below is my new little shack made from recycling large shipping crates.
I took the crate apart cleaned out the nails and stacked the new lumber.
Then I built it in about 4 days total, I still have to finish one wall and install the door but I ran into some cold bad weather. Between the nails, 12 studs and the roof shingles, the total cost $70 tops. [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]
You can see the good ol smoker still standin and an old fire box which is no longer around.
Once the shack is done, down comes ol' smokey and I'm going to install a stockade fence from the shed to the left, around the back of ol'smokey and down to about that old fire box. THEN we build the new mega smoker [smilie=banana.gif] about wear the fire box is!

Big wheel,It's not that I want some vintage work of art, I just like to make stuff and I'm very good with wood and cement.
I don't have a welder and don't think and could find (free) [smilie=hump.gif] a lot of steel to make a modern work of art.

Besides, I think a nicely seasoned wood smoker will produce a better product.
And I know that I can build a beautiful looking smoker out of wood.
Oh, and it will be a combination cold & hot smoker [smilie=a_chuckle.gif]

Northsmoke said:
Ok step one of the big smoker build is almost over, below is my new little shack made from recycling large shipping crates.
I took the crate apart cleaned out the nails and stacked the new lumber.
Then I built it in about 4 days total, I still have to finish one wall and install the door but I ran into some cold bad weather. Between the nails, 12 studs and the roof shingles, the total cost $70 tops. [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]
You can see the good ol smoker still standin and an old fire box which is no longer around.
Once the shack is done, down comes ol' smokey and I'm going to install a stockade fence from the shed to the left, around the back of ol'smokey and down to about that old fire box. THEN we build the new mega smoker [smilie=banana.gif] about wear the fire box is!

Ya JUST built this???? WOW! I had no idea the weather was that much different in Stamford, Ct. then here in Ma.

I'm thinking you have an unfair headstart on outdoor projects and still be in New England!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

I built the shack about 3 weeks ago, the weather was cold 25 to 30 degrees, but that didn't bother me I have that big fire box throwing off some heat.
The weather lately has been a bit rough with teens and 20's for temp and two separate snow falls 2" then 4" so I had to put the veto on outside work for a while, but I just justed doing other things around the house, LIKE [smilie=wine.gif]
Weather has finally broke though and I will be back outside finishing the shack and then start on the smoker.
The shack is just a place to hang out keep my smokein tools, wood chip, propane tanks etc.
Notice the window on the shack...welll that faces my house so I can see when the wife is coming...then I can hide the beer and start working on the lawn mower and pray some water on my face for speicail effects [smilie=hump.gif]

Well can tell your a highly talented and industrious type person. Wished you come over to my house and spend a few weeks fixing things up. I aint real mechanical minded myself. Best of fortunes on the project.

bigwheel

My wife always did say I was talented [smilie=rallysmile.gif] ...but she said I lacking in the industial area.....not sure what she ment by that :?: Heyyy....wait at cotton picken minute ....now I know what she means! [smilie=new_silly.gif]

Got to go have a talk with the little lady.

Got to tell ya of this pal of a pal of mine who handles my Mr. Fixit stuff. He is 60 years old and can work any 3 20 year olds plumb into the ground. He can build fences..trim trees..do decks..cement etc. and is full time into yard mowing. He also works cheap but he can drink a lot of beer. He sleeps 3 hours per night. He also the best bbq cook I ever meet. He do not do plumbing or electric. I axed him whut he knowed about toilets one time and he say he know you supposed to come in and set down on em. He is a full blown character. Reminds me of you somewhut:)

bigwheel

The last time I axed my friend whut he posta know about toilets, he says all he reckoned he could remember was the one he had last night. [smilie=hump.gif]
And my wife always said I was a character....but that was usually after you know what....I think she trying to say Im like the hulk or something. [smilie=rlp_smilie_318.gif]

Back
Top Bottom