New Pit Mod Proposal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you think I can achieve my goal?

• Yes SurfinSapo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No surfinSapo

• Have to see it to believe it!!! Boy!

• Total voters

surfinsapo

Master Chef

What I will be doing is drilling a small hole and thread it so the regulator can screw into the side of the firebox.

This regulator just screws in and the air gets mixed with the propane in the infrared grill orfice..

This baby will mount under the grill on top of the firebox. I will dismount it during smoking and regular bbq-ing.

Right under that there steak will be the infrared grill...

Oh, I just thought of something. I can drill the regulator hole in the back too, to keep everything out of the way...We'll see!!!! :shock:

It will be ok because the heat is going to be directed straight up to the meat. The firebox will get hot, but I'd say 80% of the heat is going to hit the meat. I am not going to close the lid at all. I am going to use it to cook badass steaks!!!!.. I have had the firebox loaded up with redhot coals allready and it didn't warp and turn blue. It did turn alittle bit off color, but who cares... It's just an experiment of sorts...Whole thing should only cost about $170.00 for everything.. also the regulator will be ok since the burner has a long neck on it and so does the regulator...Thanks for your comments... I am going to try it and if it don't work....oh well.. I tried.... :D

Hey SS. No expert here but I would worry about the regulator being on the side of the firebox. Them puppy's get hot and things will melt. That copper in there wont take much heat either not to mention the plastic nob. I'd be careful there my brother. I dont know how the inferred things work but that is awful close under that meat isnt it? Is there a problem with flame ups?

I will add this to the conversation...the only infrared applications I have seen have been on grills and they are located to the rear of the grill and horizontally from the cooking surface, not directly beneath it.

Maybe that is done for a reason [smilie=a_whyme.gif]

I will be very carefull... I am actually copying the set-up from my little infrared stainless steel grill. The portable one from my videos. I did notice that the regulator doesn't even get near the firebox. It is actually mounted on a bracket about 2 inches away. The infrared grills burner orfice sticks out of the firebox and the the tip if the regulator barely sticks in the orfice... The gas isn't forced throught the burner with pressure. It is drawn through by convection. I'll post a few pics of what I am copying so you can see what I am talking about..And again I'll be very carefull.. Makes me feel good knowing people care too...Thanks folks!!! :D

This shows a burner mounted pointing up

Another on pointing up

Ok, now on this one look closely to where the regulator mounts to that bracket. It's on the outside. I am also going to be using a adaptor to connect a 10 foot propane hose and use a 20 lbs. bottle of gas... I'm going to use the parts off my little portable infrared burner from my videos and test everything..

Made my purchases tonight... So by next week, we'll see what happens.. I'll cook a big fat rib-eye for yall!!!!! ok?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom