Need some help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brewski4u1

Assistant Cook
OK quick back round got a smoker for Christmas always wanted on have been BBQing for 10 year, tried to smoke this weekend and pretty much failed for the most part till my brother the Suus Chef showed up and saved the day.

Question is how do i get this unit to produce great smoke and not catch the wood chips on fire? Do i have to mod it? Did i just do it all wrong? Need lots of help i'm a tru beginner!!

I'll post some pics so you can see what i'm working with.
Landmann Smoky Mountain Vertical Gas Smoker with Wide Chamber
img_254943_0_47c22a0850bfb2acf1edbe97ae70fb0f.jpg

img_254943_1_ef95b8b6772002599e4a254ae1cf9506.jpg

also some helpful info might be found here in the new members section. figured this would be a better place to ask.http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/f30/hello-from-south-fl-gonna-need-some-help-22333-2.html#post254942
If you have any questions ask away i will answer the best i can.

Thanks in Advance.

Ok you trying to make the chips slow down in burning themselves up? Soak in water about 30 mins or so. Now if that aint the issue that prob aint the correct advice. I thought you was having problemos not getting them hot enough to burn. Or maybe its another guy who has a new pit just like yours. This is getting cornfusing.

I would think BW gave ya the right advice bout soakin the chips first...they need to burn/smolder to get the smoke....the temp looks like it can be adjusted with the propane....just get 'er running between 235 and 250, sit back and sip a cold one...
dj

I don't think that the wood chips (soaked) will smolder until the water has boiled away. Then you are back to dry chips.

Use larger chunks and sip two of those cold ones.

BOB

Totally agree the stuff aint going to smoke till the water goes away. What that has to do with the price of Tea in China..I aint quite sure..lol. Soaking will deliver it a combustion set back for a while for them who is going through the chips too fast. A 1/8 pan full of 30 min soaked chunks covered with a top layer of misery perferated tinfoil (The New Yawk Crutch) should allow a person to chill for two beers surely. Two batches of that make the electrical inclined biotches perk for a full cook.

Last edited:
Maybe somebody else can run with this (I have never used a smoker like that), what if you wrapped wood chunks in foil with small vent holes?

well after finally having some time to mess with it i think i got it down, got rid of the smoke box and got a 8in cake pan fill it up and cover with foil poke a bunch of holes in it and let it sit at 245 for 20 min and we have smoke! smoke last for about 30-45 really heavy and then starts to slow down. also got the temp to stay stable playing with the top vent and temp gauge at the bottom. Then i smokes 2 pork tenderloins for 4+ hours at 240. all i can say is wow that was good and i was very successful in making my neighbors mad at me for not making enough for them.

well here is a video of it just getting started
http://youtu.be/NnkQcIjCEMY

cant figure out how to imbed the video

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom