My first UDS build thread! UPDATE 4/8!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

92hatchattack

Senior Cook
Hello everyone!

Well construction has begun. This is going to be my very first smoker. In fact ive never really smoked anything before in my life. So im getting ready to learn an awful lot, and im going to be asking YOU lots of questions.

So, here we go.

Yesterday morning this is what i had to start with. My ugly little drum. Has a good deal of dings in her but all in all not bad for the $20 i paid for it.
img_215926_0_f3bae1e26fad1ac47116815d364a030b.jpg

Got the top cut off with a sawzall ang getting rid of those edges with the ol angle grinder.
img_215926_1_049282304926751c236d1ff747bc37c8.jpg

Here we go burning her out real good near the river. I live in an apartment so i cant have a smoker at home. But lucky for me we have these little run down cabins right by the riverside. What can be better than smoking on the river?
img_215926_2_8b282ec2068ffead267dac4ed713ffa1.jpg

Today i got to work and started mocking up all my hardware. Here i have just finished bolting on the BGE draft door that i will be using to regulate air flow.
img_215926_3_d9edcfbe6fd6e269410e3a79b12ce890.jpg

Here i have my $29 lid from biglots on and have fitted most of my SS hardware. Ive got some $5 wally world thermos mounted through bolts and running right under each grate. I will also be adding a Maverick et73 as well.With 3 thermos monitoring the internal temps there is just no way they all go bad at once. This makes me feel safe.
img_215926_4_e6d235fc9d822d8ef8edc837e6f798a1.jpg

Got my 2 weber grates installed, as well as some nice handles and a few tool hooks. Reaplced all the stock hardware with SS.
img_215926_5_a615051e738a6e863a61258832d1b99a.jpg

And thats as far as ive gotten this weekend. Im going to order the ET73 tonight, as well as a beer bottle opener to attach. Once i have that all mounted and fid a way to safely run the probes inside the cooker she will be ready to strip back down and get a coat of paint!

Thanks for looking at this newbies first UDS build!

---Joe

Re: My first UDS build thread!

By jeez there Joe, looks like you were a busy little bee this weekend! And your right, you can't beat smoking down by the river, just ask Puff!

Nice job on the UDS 92hatchattack ;)
Crank that Bad Boy up & posts some pics of it
turnin' out some tasty Q :D

8)

Looks great...!!!! Looks like a cousin of my UDS... I like the second thermometer and tool hook. May have to add those to mine...

^^^^ Well my wife and brother want me to paint it back to the drums original red, so i guess it would be more of a red-headed step brother.... lol

92hatchattack said:
^^^^ Well my wife and brother want me to paint it back to the drums original red, so i guess it would be more of a red-headed step brother.... lol

That had me rolling...!!!! hahahahaa

Jester,

What kind of paint did you use? I test tried the dupli color 500 degree engine paint and i find that it seems to scratch very easy. I can put a nice scratch in it with nothing more than my finger nail!

92hatchattack said:
Jester,

What kind of paint did you use? I test tried the dupli color 500 degree engine paint and i find that it seems to scratch very easy. I can put a nice scratch in it with nothing more than my finger nail!

I used two paints actually... I started with Rustoleum high heat 1200 degree grill paint. It came out with a flat black/gray paint finish that I didn't really like. So I used that whole can, but wanted to add a few more coats. I found another paint which had a satin black finish that was Rustoleum premium high heat 1200 degree paint. I used two cans of this on the drum, which gave me a total of almost 6 coats of paint. This stuff seems to be holding up pretty well.... Hope that helps.

I used the rustoleum and it was doo doo! I stripped it and painted with some ACE Hardware High Temp stuff. I herd on the BBQ central show once, with the dude from Klose that if you rub em down with grease they don’t rust. Well I took the method to my UDS's. A few weeks after painting and several cooks I rubbed the outside down with lard and then wiped em dry with a terry cloth towel (while hot). What this did was put a hair thin layer of oil into the paint and metal. This makes the paint more pliable and no rust whatsoever. I’ve even left em in the rain. Make sure you use a good paint. The oil wiped off the rustoleum the first attempt. I repeat the process every few month and again absolutely no rust!

Well i guess its time for a little bit of an update, so here ya go.

Got my charcoal basket all welded up and ready to go. My first time with using a welder, with a guy that just bought the welder and doesnt know how to use it. Spent most of the time just trying not to burn through the expanded metal.... Oh, welding is SUPER fun, but aparently takes alot of practice.

img_216507_0_260495a92c99bbdca7980908782775ea.jpg

Here is the smoker with a few new gizmos mounted and ready to go. Im not sure if i have enough thermometers though 8) My wife LOVES the fact that this is in our living room! :mrgreen:

img_216507_1_e93f687171cccbb04d22567eac3006ba.jpg

Close up of the new Maverick et-73. A whopping $38 shipped!

img_216507_2_52f1544f9374d4b3136764c3f4854cc6.jpg

And last but not least, the most important accessory of all!

img_216507_3_3f0dfae0fd7f3d97cbf1822c44ab8117.jpg

And here she is all stripped back down andjust finished washing her out.

img_216507_4_057777360950393a1a52e2ea9c98b1f2.jpg

Tomorrow she is getting a coat of paint. Thats all for now!

Re: My first UDS build thread! UPDATE 4/2

Drum looks great!! In my opinion having that many therms could cause some trouble.

Re: My first UDS build thread! UPDATE 4/2

READY TO ROCK!!!

img_216830_0_a042bc8ee1c3cb9f772796107a8eae51.jpg

Tomorrow night she is getting a 2 hour test @ 200 degrees to finish curing up he paint and checking for leaks.

Saturday she will season at 250 for 3 hours and then probally have a simple cheese fatty, some drumsticks, baked potato, and beans thrown on to get a feeling for how long it takes to cook these various foods.

Tne next time i post pictures there will be smoke pouring out of this baby!

Back
Top Bottom