More pictures of progress on smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allisonandrews

Senior Cook
We added a vent to the fire box door.
img_40955_0_5aa9363244a56d6a3bb079d62d9492fa.jpg

We added a thermometer to the smoker door. It is sitting around cooking level. We also use probe thermometers in the meat while they cook.
img_40955_1_0889509215b18cd5bff44e26f46778f5.jpg

We have now added the wood box. The dimensions are around 26 inches wide, 6 foot long, and 2 foot high. This should really put some more weight on the front of the trailer and help to distribute the weight more evenly. The frame is made out of square tubing metal and the sides are made out of a fiberglass composite panel called Ridgidex. The panels were a freebie and the metal was around $3.00 total. Our only real cost was a few bolts, washers, and nuts, and some screws.

Here is one of the side panels.
img_40955_2_6c12bfc0ac1ec3d8c907ff7f42e7d2ed.jpg

Here is the wood box. (We will add a top later on once we decide what we are going to make it out of.
img_40955_3_65e4c4442789ae46f42d05ff636e4f49.jpg

More pictures are on my webshots page - see my signature.

nice looking pit, Im gathering parts for a similer one...do you have a plate inside for the smoke to travel under as I noticed your exhaust on the firebox end...

john pen said:
nice looking pit, Im gathering parts for a similer one...do you have a plate inside for the smoke to travel under as I noticed your exhaust on the firebox end...

I am guessing you are talking about the reverse flow design. There is a channel that runs from the firebox, under the cooking grate, and to the other end. We are still tinkering with it a bit - we need to cut a bit off as we are not getting the cooker as hot as we would like and we think the smoke may be cooling off too much before it gets into the cooking chamber.

Now if we can only get it painted... We are having a slow go getting all the rust off the tank. We have talked to tons of places and they only know of one guy that will sandblast it.... for $600.00. Needless to say, it will be a grinder for us.

If you figure your labor at $45/hr what will that come out to with the balance of the rust removal...might be well worth the investment for your time savings and also sandblasting will get the job done 100%...just a thought! :(

Only problem is that we probably have less than $200 invested in the smoker right now. Almost everybit of it has been a freebie or from a trade. Labor from us is free. The smoker is just for us, so we are not in a real hurry. We enjoy being able to say how LITTLE our smoker has cost us instead of how MUCH it has cost us.

allisonandrews said:
Only problem is that we probably have less than $200 invested in the smoker right now. Almost everybit of it has been a freebie or from a trade. Labor from us is free. The smoker is just for us, so we are not in a real hurry. We enjoy being able to say how LITTLE our smoker has cost us instead of how MUCH it has cost us.

Do you have a compressor...a sandblaster from Harbor frieght is around $90.00.

john pen said:
Do you have a compressor...a sandblaster from Harbor frieght is around $90.00.

That is EXACTLY why we refuse to pay $600 to have someone do it.

Yes, I know our labor cost us, but it costs us time, which we have plenty of. Money, we don't.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom