Ideal backyard smoker/pit for Guru?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LowRent

Senior Cook
I've got a couple grills (Bar-B-Chef Texas Grill & Weber 22" kettle), but after hearing the Guru Podcast I'm considering adding a smoker to my lineup. The smoker will be used with a to-be-purchased Guru.

I don't do competitions, and we rarely have more than 20 people over for parties... usually we entertain for more like 10-15 total.

What would your shortlist of smokers be if you were in my shoes? I'm open to any & all suggestions.

I like the Backwoods Smoker "Patio". Seems like I came across a thread(s) indicating that BBQ Bob & Shotgun Fred may have had some difficulties w/the Guru/Patio combo, but those difficulties weren't specified & I could have dreamed the whole thing up.

Of course, WSM is another obvious choice.

Thanks in advance for your input.[/url]

Lowrent, Backwoods smoker $325, WSM with guru & adaptor plate $390.

You can fit more food in the WSM, and lots of folks here will swear by them. JMHO

Nick Prochilo said:
Lowrent, Backwoods smoker $325, WSM with guru & adaptor plate $390.

You can fit more food in the WSM, and lots of folks here will swear by them. JMHO

The WSM is the other one at the top of my list, and is a strong contender. I'm leaning towards the Patio for only 2 reasons:
- I like the access doors on the Patio a lot. Of course, with a smoker it's not like I'm in there fooling with the meat much, but there is still refuling.
- I like the insulation because I believe it will mean less refuling. I'd like to be able to leave the smoker unattended, when needed, for as long a period of time as possible.

Now, especially on this last point, I could be all wrong. Am I?

Jeff E said:
I agree with Nick. I've never had to refuel my WSM during a cook since getting the Guru. I use a hot water heater blanket around my WSM on really cold, windy nights, and still have a lot of charcoal left over after an 18 hour cook.

I bet you give it a good night kiss as you tuck it in bed too. :lmao:

txpgapro said:
Jeff E said:
I agree with Nick. I've never had to refuel my WSM during a cook since getting the Guru. I use a hot water heater blanket around my WSM on really cold, windy nights, and still have a lot of charcoal left over after an 18 hour cook.

I bet you give it a good night kiss as you tuck it in bed too. :lmao:
That's right.
Hate to see what you'll be doing after the 4th of Nov. :eek: :)

Nick Prochilo said:
With my guru & wsm, I can get 18 - 20 hour burns without re-fueling.

That's it? I was hoping for like 2-3 days.

Just kidding, of course. I can't see needing more than that.

Jeff E said:

That answers that question, though I suspect you get colder weather than do I.

The Patio link states the Patio will go for 4-6 hours. Of course, I doubt this statement contemplated a Guru. I wonder if the Guru could make a big enough difference to go to the 18-20+ hour mark already achieved by many with the WSM?

LowRent said:
The Patio link states the Patio will go for 4-6 hours. Of course, I doubt this statement contemplated a Guru. I wonder if the Guru could make a big enough difference to go to the 18-20+ hour mark already achieved by many with the WSM?

Spoke w/Backwoods Smoker. Person I spoke with said he did not believe the Patio could get to 18-20 hours with or w/o the Guru due to the 4.5 lb or so of fuel restriction on the Patio. He also stated that if the Guru is the intended use for the Patio he would build it differently. To be ideal we add gaskets to the doors. To get the gaskets to function properly latches, rather than magnets, need to be used for the doors. These changes add about $225 to the Patio which would, as I understood it, require no adaptor for the Guru as it would be made specifically for that purpose.

So, for about $550 (Backwoods would need to put pen to paper to give a definite price quote), I could have a Patio specifically built for the Guru.

While the WSM's 18-20 hours is great, I'd be happy with 10-12. 10-12 would suit my purposes just fine, but I don't think there's any getting around that 18-20 is better.

I think I can get a WSM deliverd for $180-$200. So, there is a very big difference in price. Even if the Patio is a superior product, I'm not sure I can justify the price at this point given the outstanding results so many here get with the WSM.

Lowrent,

Believe me you'll eventually want those 18-20 hour burns especially if you plan on cooking a pork butt or a brisket.

Don't let anyone tell you the WSM is not a superior product. Championships have been won on them. And you can grill on them also.

Our second place trophy at Nelsonville a week ago (chicken) was cooked on a WSM (with a guru attached).

Kloset BBQR said:
Lowrent,

Believe me you'll eventually want those 18-20 hour burns especially if you plan on cooking a pork butt or a brisket.

Don't let anyone tell you the WSM is not a superior product. Championships have been won on them. And you can grill on them also.

Our second place trophy at Nelsonville a week ago (chicken) was cooked on a WSM (with a guru attached).

It's not that I don't think I want to do an 18-20 burn, it's just that I can add fuel sometime durring that 18-20 hours if I can get atleast 10-12 in the first part of the 18-20. Does that make sense?

IOW, I don't have a problem adding more fuel after 10-12 hours to get me to 18-20. Have said that, it would be better still to not have to add fuel.

Nobody has tried to tell me the WSM is not a superior product. I believe it's widely recognized as an outstanding performer regardless of price. When price is factored, it may be impossible for me to beat. In fact, it may be impossible to beat even if price isn't factored.

I do grill & BBQ year round. So, the insulation on the Patio is appealing. Also, I like the access the Patio provides. However, the water heater blanket can address the first issue and the second just isn't that big of an issue.

Refueling during a cook can be a pain, not to mention the temperature spikes or drops you'll get during the process. The only problem with a WSM is capacity. But that's easily remedied, I've got two. How many will you usually be cooking for? If its for 12 or less one WSM will do just fine and on a cost benefit ratio there isn't a better little cooker out there. I also have a Klose smoker and grill, and a Jedmaster on the way but for just a family cook it's so much easier to fire up the WSM. Easy clean up too.

Sticks or Briq's?

I'm not trying to hide my rookie status w/the WSM... what do folks use in it, sticks or briq's? I had assumed mainly briq's with a few sticks thrown in for flavor.

Jeff E said:
The hot water heater blanket isn't a necessity for the WSM either. Without the blanket or Guru, I could run my WSM without refueling for ~16 hours during warm weather & 12 hours when it was cold & windy. Others have had better results. If you buy a WSM & think you want to insulate it further, the silver jacket from The BBQ Guru is also a great product. I just went with the water heater blanket because it was cheaper.

Got it.

Hey, can the silver jacket double as a cover? IOW, if I go the WSM route could I just purchase the silver jacket and skip a cover?

The WSM cover comes with the smoker so it will be your choice of attire for the WSM!

I believe Silver Jacket would be the appropriate attire after 6 PM and on special occassions. :grin:

Re: Sticks or Briq's?

Jeff E said:
LowRent said:
I'm not trying to hide my rookie status w/the WSM... what do folks use in it, sticks or briq's? I had assumed mainly briq's with a few sticks thrown in for flavor.

Kingsford (not the match light type) or lump charcoal is what most people use. Some chunks of smoke wood are placed in with the charcoal.
You can go here http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ for pretty much everything you would want to know about the WSM.
Yeah, but the Good Humor truck only stops on BBQ4U street. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom