Ideal backyard smoker/pit for Guru?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kloset BBQR said:
I believe Silver Jacket would be the appropriate attire after 6 PM and on special occassions. :grin:

Yikes! Who knew such bad advice could be forthecoming from an otherwise fine forum.

[-X

IMO silver could only be appropriate between Easter & Labor Day. I've deduced this bit of pit fashion savvy advice by noting that wearing silver seems to me to be tantamount to wearing white shoes.

So, from here on out I'm ignoring all of Kloset BBQR's pit fashion advice, and if you're smart, reader, you will too.

Captain Morgan said:
I prefer a nice big white Herb Tarlich style belt with my white shoes.

KRP, anyone?

I almost mentioned that white shoes were on the out at the time being... but then I was afraid I might hurt someone's feelings. And, of course, we wouldn't want to do that. I think I made my point.

Nick Prochilo said:
LowRent said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":2k5xs55x]With my guru & wsm, I can get 18 - 20 hour burns without re-fueling.

How much fuel do you use to get this?

Ball park figure around 1 lb. per hour.[/quote:2k5xs55x]

Nick...you don't mean that you use 18-20lbs. of charcoal for that long of a cook do you?

Jeff E said:
I use a full ring of Kingsford (10-12 lbs?) in my WSM for an 18 hour cook.

So, you use about half a bag? I don't know what a ring is, other than the one that's around my finger.

How much wood do you use in addition to your briq's? Just a few pieces? Do you add some throughout the smoking process?

Lowrent, here's the charcoal ring with a handle mod that Bryan did for me at Smokestock last year. I've been using pellets for wood smoke lately but when I do use wood, I bury several pieces in the top half of the mound of charcoal prior to spreading out the lit coals on top.

PA120014.JPG

The Joker said:
Lowrent, here's the charcoal ring with a handle mod that Bryan did for me at Smokestock last year. I've been using pellets for wood smoke lately but when I do use wood, I bury several pieces in the top half of the mound of charcoal prior to spreading out the lit coals on top.

Thanks for the pic. Does that piece, other than the handles, come with the WSM?

Jeff E said:
LowRent said:
So, you use about half a bag? I don't know what a ring is, other than the one that's around my finger.

Yeah. I think it's about half a bag of either Kingsford or lump (I've been using Royal Oak lately). My family doesn't like things to be real smoky, so about 3 fist sized chunks of smoke wood works well.

Lump is much lighter, but about the same volume I guess.

I like smoke as much as the next guy, but IMHO you can have too much of a good thing.

I was able to pick up Royal Oak at Wally World until just recently. Now I can't find it there. Wonder if it's seasonal. Kingsford is still available there.

Finney said:
I've gotten 24+ hrs from a rounded ring full. But it was warm here. (anyone not from the south... read that as HOT). 8-[

About four small fist size pieces of smoke wood.

24 hours.... that's not bad, adn I'm further south than you are.

LowRent said:
The Joker said:

Thanks for the pic. Does that piece, other than the handles, come with the WSM?
Yeah, both the charcoal grate and charcoal ring. Also, a water pan and 2 cooking grates. This link will give you pretty good overview of the WSM: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tour.html

Minion Method?

With my existing grills, I've basically used this method for low & slow.

Minion Method

Is this the starting method you use for long cooks?

Re: Minion Method?

LowRent said:
With my existing grills, I've basically used this method for low & slow.

Minion Method

Is this the starting method you use for long cooks?
That's what I use for long cooks. Fully lit for hotter, shorter cooks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom