Idaho Newbie here-Smoker/ grill build out of a 50 DODGE TRUCK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RUMBLON

Assistant Cook
Hi, Im a newbie with almost zero smoking skills. I have a small electric smoker that was given to me. I have smoked a few things on it like brisket, chicken, ribs ect. Thats about it

I live on 175 acres in Idaho and am retired. I have been retired for three years and have been building out buildings and a shop on this property since the day I arrived..

Currently I am planning an owner/ building home build on a 2 acre pond that we have here. In front of that home, near the pond I plan on a sitting area of flagstone, next to that a covered patio with a bar and just outside that a BBQ and a smoker. This is why I ma here.

I do nothing half A$$ed so I need to learn. My hobbies have always been cars and trucks and muscle car builds. Now that Im retired, no more expensive cars so Im going to build a rod or two. I have acquired a couple of truck cabs and front clips, (DODGE) as I am a Mopar guy.

I would like to turn the front clip of the truck into a grille and the cab into a smoker. I know it may sound odd, but why not? Seriously, why not? I am hoping the cab can be conducive to a good smoking environment and need to learn if it can or not? I plan on building a barrel stove that will attach to the cab via the back of the cab via piping. I am also going to build the same stove for my greenhouse, so why not do a second. I see they make double barrel smoker kits, so why not make the cab a with grates, hangers ect. The cabs seal up pretty well.

That said I need a great site to learn how to build a smoker and the general needs so I can turn this into a good one. The front clip has a hood that either side lifts up, so I can go a grille on it.

Here is a pic of the cabs and the front clips for my project, one has a title, so I will more than likely use the other one. I am guessing the glass can handle the 200-250 temps but if not I can have some tempered glass made or weld metal in.

any thoughts?

BBQ and smoker will be sitting on the banks of this pond.

Back
Top Bottom