Hello pit builders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
Well I turn over my right family oyster for one of them gravity fed Stumps ..why you wont to go mucking it up by trying to turn it into some kinda hybrid reverse flow offset Georgia creosote factory monstrosity? Enquiring minds need to know this kinda stuff so the right type of discussion might be introduced into the conversation. Welcome aboard by the way:)

bigwheel

butts said:
If I haven't meet you yet I'm butts from Landrum, SC. I currently cook on a Stump's GF222CM and a Primo Oval, I'm not giving up either one but I am planning to build a pit from scratch ove the winter. I'm going to combine features from Lang, Stump's Smokers, Peoria Cookers, and a few others. I'm sure I'll be asking for all the advise I can get.

Right now I plan to make a reverse flow. What are the advantages/disadvantages of a reverse flow pit vs. others.

Well think as Griff would testify it dont hurt to have a little of everything in the aresenal. Smart thinking:)

bigwheel

butts said:
Just adding to the family bigwheel.

As mentioned before:
I'm not giving up either one
Butts must own more pits!!!

Hey Butts. No expert here but I have built a few pits. Both reverse flow and indirect. I like the results from the reverse flow better. The temps stay more even. I build mine out of old propane tanks. (LETS NOT GET STARTED ON THE DANGER OF PROPANE TANKS). I have built 5 so far out of them and a couple out of oil drums. If I can be of any help, let me know.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
Hey Butts. No expert here but I have built a few pits. Both reverse flow and indirect. I like the results from the reverse flow better. The temps stay more even. I build mine out of old propane tanks. (LETS NOT GET STARTED ON THE DANGER OF PROPANE TANKS). I have built 5 so far out of them and a couple out of oil drums. If I can be of any help, let me know.

Hey Bill got any pics of that reverse smoker handy???

WalterSC said:
Bill The Grill Guy said:

Hey Bill got any pics of that reverse smoker handy???

Here ya go.

Image Gallery with PicTiger

butts said:
Good looking pit Bill. I noticed that you stack isn't on the top of your cooker like most reverse flows. Any advantage to that?

I was trying to keep the smoke near the grate. The stack is at grate level. The smoke spirals around in there and then out the stack.

New builder

Ok everyone, I like what I'm hearing.
Well I'm going to need some help as well!

My project is for me, what a steak bone is to a dog! :LOL:

I'm in Connecticut and have been workin "everyday" in the freezing cold (20's) for a little of a week now. I just finished my 8ft x 8ft shack (very cool lookin) which is going to be the center or heart of my smoking (hobby) operation.

Next as soon as the weather gets better and the ground thaws, I will install the stockage fence, creating a 20ft x 30ft area with shack in it, this should work great on keeping my wife out, (she can't climb) ;)

Then we start on my BABY! :twisted:

I want a 4ftW x 3ftD x 6ftH wooden smoke shack. Im in planning stage so can ya all help me along.
Pics are hard to post in here for....can't seem to do it...I tried everything
Some pic will be by email.

Anyone want a set of my plans.
Thanks Mike

Back
Top Bottom