Guru vs Stokes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
I'm considering using a Guru pit fire control or a Stokes. Does anyone have a comment on the quality of these two units? The Stokes cost a bit more and is it worth the extra cash?
My plan is to use one on a Lang 60, if it will work on this type unit. I welcome comments on that, too. Thanks.

Looking over the Guru brochure I like the unit with wireless remote and a ramp down on the temp as the meat reaches the target temp. But the price is $609. Whew. Not to long ago I wouldn't have paid that for a cooker. Ha. Things change.

No personal experience with the equipment, but ...

There are a lot of Lang users on the National Barbeque News Forum, you might want to ask over there. A couple of caveats though. They tend to get a kind of herd mentality over there. If one guy uses something, often everyone else climbs aboard. It's an echo-chamber when it comes to "you got to get you a Lang" But in this case, that's a good thing. IIRC, there are Stoker and Guru users both. There are some people representing at least one of the lines who post there too. So hold on to that grain of salt.

For heaven's sake! E-mail Ben Lang and ask him!

From what I've heard ... for a single application like yours, Guru and Stoker are equally effective, but Guru is less expensive by far. Unless you're the sort of geek who wants to run his cooker with PC Anywhere from 800 miles because you can , and it's cool, less expensive will probably be determinative. (Did you list "Stealing Software" as one of your favorite activities? If you bought PC Anywhere or they gave it to you at work, you're not the type.)

Rich

Back
Top Bottom