Guru vie Stoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DATsBBQ

Head Chef
Been thinking about a Guru for a while now. Tried get one cheap on E-Bay cheap a couple of times. Now comes this Stoker gadget.

Anyone care to sing the praises of either?

Dats

You gonna stick it on the ceramic? I don't know squat about either but I like the graph brian j does with the stoker in the "brisket did what?" thread.

Griff

Griff said:
Dats

You gonna stick it on the ceramic? I don't know squat about either but I like the graph brian j does with the stoker in the "brisket did what?" thread.

Griff

The guru comes with the mount that replaces the lower slide vent on the egg and Primo.
4 hundred for the old one with wires, 5 hundred for the new wireless one SRP. Last two wired types sold on ebay for around $200, 10X more than the "comptroller" will allow :LOL:

Santa never showed up :cry: Perhaps cause he knows the RE market is in the Sh###r and didn't want to get soiled. :roll:

But yes, I'd get in a hearbeat if the wardon would allow. The wardon's additional duties include being the CFO. That's what happens when you marry a redhead :LOL:

Dats I used to think there wasnt a big need for one, then the sleep started to sound better, then Brian had to go and show that graph.....I dunno, that stoker is looking pretty slick. I saw you bid on the guru on ebay and figured that was a sign not to go for it :D

cflatt said:
Dats I used to think there wasnt a big need for one, then the sleep started to sound better, then Brian had to go and show that graph.....I dunno, that stoker is looking pretty slick. I saw you bid on the guru on ebay and figured that was a sign not to go for it :D

My 1st go around I went to 199. Figured I tell the Mrs it was another computer gadget. Then she read my emails ( word to the wise), on the 2nd go around I bid 20, in any case, I thought you had the winning bid :D

Dats, perhaps the innate salesman in me, but, do not get in to the "Price Tag Legit" syndrome so many shoppers fall in to...I would imagine that if you ASKED for a better price either retailer might give you a better price. You negotiate for a good deal on a car or a house....you can do the same thing for a cheeseburger or a Guru or a Stoker... ;)

You just got to have the balls to ask! Most people don't...makes them feel all weird inside!! :LOL:

Greg Rempe said:
Dats, perhaps the innate salesman in me, but, do not get in to the "Price Tag Legit" syndrome so many shoppers fall in to...I would imagine that if you ASKED for a better price either retailer might give you a better price. You negotiate for a good deal on a car or a house....you can do the same thing for a cheeseburger or a Guru or a Stoker... ;)

You just got to have the balls to ask! Most people don't...makes them feel all weird inside!! :LOL:

It sounds more like he is afraid to ask his wife, not the seller! Grow a set and tell her you are buying one!

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":p9vk63tr]Dats, perhaps the innate salesman in me, but, do not get in to the "Price Tag Legit" syndrome so many shoppers fall in to...I would imagine that if you ASKED for a better price either retailer might give you a better price. You negotiate for a good deal on a car or a house....you can do the same thing for a cheeseburger or a Guru or a Stoker... ;)

It sounds more like he is afraid to ask his wife, not the seller! Grow a set and tell her you are buying one![/quote:p9vk63tr]

ooooooooo [smilie=a_holyshit.gif] who wears the pants in that house?

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":3frkayw9]Dats, perhaps the innate salesman in me, but, do not get in to the "Price Tag Legit" syndrome so many shoppers fall in to...I would imagine that if you ASKED for a better price either retailer might give you a better price. You negotiate for a good deal on a car or a house....you can do the same thing for a cheeseburger or a Guru or a Stoker... ;)

It sounds more like he is afraid to ask his wife, not the seller! Grow a set and tell her you are buying one![/quote:3frkayw9]

I was hoping to snag one for $20 on the auction. 5cents on the dollar. Don't think they're worth 2 bills much less the SRP.

Nick, think I'll go pop the top on a few beers and cruise e-bay for awhile. :LOL:

DATsBBQ said:
Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":1bidqvtq]Dats, perhaps the innate salesman in me, but, do not get in to the "Price Tag Legit" syndrome so many shoppers fall in to...I would imagine that if you ASKED for a better price either retailer might give you a better price. You negotiate for a good deal on a car or a house....you can do the same thing for a cheeseburger or a Guru or a Stoker... ;)

It sounds more like he is afraid to ask his wife, not the seller! Grow a set and tell her you are buying one!

I was hoping to snag one for $20 on the auction. 5cents on the dollar. Don't think they're worth 2 bills much less the SRP.

Nick, think I'll go pop the top on a few beers and cruise e-bay for awhile. :LOL:[/quote:1bidqvtq]

Good luck! Have you finished shoveling the snow?

Nick Prochilo said:
DATsBBQ said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":3v0bkyao][quote="Greg Rempe":3v0bkyao]Dats, perhaps the innate salesman in me, but, do not get in to the "Price Tag Legit" syndrome so many shoppers fall in to...I would imagine that if you ASKED for a better price either retailer might give you a better price. You negotiate for a good deal on a car or a house....you can do the same thing for a cheeseburger or a Guru or a Stoker... ;)

Nick, think I'll go pop the top on a few beers and cruise e-bay for awhile. :LOL:[/quote:3v0bkyao]

Good luck! Have you finished shoveling the snow?[/quote:3v0bkyao]

[smilie=a_bravo.gif] [smilie=a_bravo.gif] [smilie=a_bravo.gif]

I have a Stoker, and I like it just fine. The 5 cfm fan is more than adequate for a WSM; I don't know how it would work on a bigger cooker. The last time I used the Stoker (cooking spare ribs) the temperature didn't vary more than a degree or so, one way or the other, once it got up to cooking temp. That's based on my infrequent observations... I don't babysit the thing, and I don't care anything about having charts or graphs of the cooking temperature. I expect I'd be just as happy with a Guru; I happen to have the Stoker because I won it in a contest. I will say that the customer service I've had from the Stoker folks (due in both cases to my own mistakes, and not to any defect in the product) has been excellent. [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]

It's true! John said it himself that they forgot to take that part out of the manual and indeed Guru has some type of protection on that feature at the moment.

I just want to know if they are waterproof or not? I like the fact that I can get them for my different pits and be interchangeable with each one. But not all of them will fit under my canopy and its always the rainy season here. I saw one at a comp. and they had a plastic bag over it, thats not encouraging for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom