Guru vie Stoker - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > BBQ Pit Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
Wizard of Que

Guru vie Stoker

Been thinking about a Guru for a while now. Tried get one cheap on E-Bay cheap a couple of times. Now comes this Stoker gadget.

Anyone care to sing the praises of either?

DATsBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:13 PM   #2

Dats

You gonna stick it on the ceramic? I don't know squat about either but I like the graph brian j does with the stoker in the "brisket did what?" thread.

Griff

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm."
George Orwell
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
Wizard of Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Dats

You gonna stick it on the ceramic? I don't know squat about either but I like the graph brian j does with the stoker in the "brisket did what?" thread.

Griff
The guru comes with the mount that replaces the lower slide vent on the egg and Primo.
4 hundred for the old one with wires, 5 hundred for the new wireless one SRP. Last two wired types sold on ebay for around $200, 10X more than the "comptroller" will allow

Santa never showed up Perhaps cause he knows the RE market is in the Sh###r and didn't want to get soiled.

But yes, I'd get in a hearbeat if the wardon would allow. The wardon's additional duties include being the CFO. That's what happens when you marry a redhead
Old 01-14-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
BBQ Central Pro

Dats I used to think there wasnt a big need for one, then the sleep started to sound better, then Brian had to go and show that graph.....I dunno, that stoker is looking pretty slick. I saw you bid on the guru on ebay and figured that was a sign not to go for it

Curtis
cflatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
Wizard of Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflatt
Dats I used to think there wasnt a big need for one, then the sleep started to sound better, then Brian had to go and show that graph.....I dunno, that stoker is looking pretty slick. I saw you bid on the guru on ebay and figured that was a sign not to go for it
My 1st go around I went to 199. Figured I tell the Mrs it was another computer gadget. Then she read my emails ( word to the wise), on the 2nd go around I bid 20, in any case, I thought you had the winning bid
Old 01-14-2007, 11:02 PM   #6
BBQ Central Pro

not me...got to be too much for ebay

Curtis
cflatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:05 AM   #7
Web Celeb

Dats, perhaps the innate salesman in me, but, do not get in to the "Price Tag Legit" syndrome so many shoppers fall in to...I would imagine that if you ASKED for a better price either retailer might give you a better price. You negotiate for a good deal on a car or a house....you can do the same thing for a cheeseburger or a Guru or a Stoker...

You just got to have the balls to ask! Most people don't...makes them feel all weird inside!!
Old 01-15-2007, 06:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Rempe
Dats, perhaps the innate salesman in me, but, do not get in to the "Price Tag Legit" syndrome so many shoppers fall in to...I would imagine that if you ASKED for a better price either retailer might give you a better price. You negotiate for a good deal on a car or a house....you can do the same thing for a cheeseburger or a Guru or a Stoker...

You just got to have the balls to ask! Most people don't...makes them feel all weird inside!!
It sounds more like he is afraid to ask his wife, not the seller! Grow a set and tell her you are buying one!
Old 01-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #9
Pope O'Que

[quote=Nick Prochilo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Greg Rempe":p9vk63tr

It sounds more like he is afraid to ask his wife, not the seller! Grow a set and tell her you are buying one![/quote9vk63tr]

ooooooooo [smilie=a_holyshit.gif] who wears the pants in that house?

The weather is here.... wish you were beautiful

Imagine my disappointment if i were here to make you happy
Smokey_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:30 PM   #10
Wizard of Que

[quote=Nick Prochilo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Greg Rempe":3frkayw9

It sounds more like he is afraid to ask his wife, not the seller! Grow a set and tell her you are buying one![/quote:3frkayw9]

I was hoping to snag one for $20 on the auction. 5cents on the dollar. Don't think they're worth 2 bills much less the SRP.

Nick, think I'll go pop the top on a few beers and cruise e-bay for awhile.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:15 AM   #11

[quote=DATsBBQ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Prochilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Greg Rempe":1bidqvtq

It sounds more like he is afraid to ask his wife, not the seller! Grow a set and tell her you are buying one!
I was hoping to snag one for $20 on the auction. 5cents on the dollar. Don't think they're worth 2 bills much less the SRP.

Nick, think I'll go pop the top on a few beers and cruise e-bay for awhile. [/quote:1bidqvtq]

Good luck! Have you finished shoveling the snow?
Old 01-16-2007, 08:24 AM   #12
Wizard of Que

[quote=Nick Prochilo][quote=DATsBBQ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Nick Prochilo":3v0bkyao
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Greg Rempe":3v0bkyao

Nick, think I'll go pop the top on a few beers and cruise e-bay for awhile. [/quote:3v0bkyao]

Good luck! Have you finished shoveling the snow?[/quote:3v0bkyao]

[smilie=a_bravo.gif] [smilie=a_bravo.gif] [smilie=a_bravo.gif]
Old 01-28-2007, 01:34 PM   #13
Saint O'Que

I have a Stoker, and I like it just fine. The 5 cfm fan is more than adequate for a WSM; I don't know how it would work on a bigger cooker. The last time I used the Stoker (cooking spare ribs) the temperature didn't vary more than a degree or so, one way or the other, once it got up to cooking temp. That's based on my infrequent observations... I don't babysit the thing, and I don't care anything about having charts or graphs of the cooking temperature. I expect I'd be just as happy with a Guru; I happen to have the Stoker because I won it in a contest. I will say that the customer service I've had from the Stoker folks (due in both cases to my own mistakes, and not to any defect in the product) has been excellent. [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]
Old 02-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #14
Web Celeb

It's true! John said it himself that they forgot to take that part out of the manual and indeed Guru has some type of protection on that feature at the moment.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:44 AM   #15
BBQ NOOB

I just want to know if they are waterproof or not? I like the fact that I can get them for my different pits and be interchangeable with each one. But not all of them will fit under my canopy and its always the rainy season here. I saw one at a comp. and they had a plastic bag over it, thats not encouraging for me.
PNWBA/KCBS CBJ
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:17 AM   #16
Official BBQ Central Mark

I don't believe either unit, Stoker or Guru, is waterproof.
Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #17

I use my guru under a roof so I don't have any water issues.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:23 AM   #18
Saint O'Que

There's a new firmware update available on the Stoker website:

http://rocksbarbque.com/

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a...3/m/4900006774