guru question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
If I were you, I would buy the Stoker for about the same price and get the extra probe for the second pit and be able to monitor both pits from one digital controller. But that's just my opinion. I think the attractive selling point for mulitple WSM owners is the fact that Stoker has the ability to monitor multiple pits with only one unit and the Guru, you have to buy a whole new unit for each pit you own.

BFD, I only use my "ramp mode" when I'm gonna be away from the WSM at the approximate time the meat would be done. I have had a guru for almost 3 years and have used the ramp mode 2 x's. Hope that helps.

I think you'd need to buy the adapter to run the Guru you have already, but I agree with Bruce...you can run a stoker and a guru from the stoker box...they also have adapters so you can expand out to many more blowers or probes.

I have done podcasts with both manufacturers... 8)

Well now...suppose I'll have to research that...however, I think in the end we are talking about the same thing. You;d still be able to run the guru and other items as well from the stoker box.

Bruce B said:
If I were you, I would buy the Stoker for about the same price and get the extra probe for the second pit and be able to monitor both pits from one digital controller. But that's just my opinion. I think the attractive selling point for mulitple WSM owners is the fact that Stoker has the ability to monitor multiple pits with only one unit and the Guru, you have to buy a whole new unit for each pit you own.

I'd like to second this. And, apparently, you can monitor many pits plus make beer all at the same time!

In another post in this forum, I noted that the Stoker has a feature that appears to be similar to the ramp mode. That said, per the recent podcast Rock (aka John (Jon?) Jackson) and crew have developed programing to keep the fan off when the lid of the pit is lifted. When the lid is returned and after temps have settled back down, the Stoker resumes control. This is not a feature the Guru has. Also, let me be clear, the Guru is by all accounts a fantastic product with a well earned loyal following.

Back
Top Bottom