Getting the rust off - prep work for paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allisonandrews

Senior Cook
We are trying to get ready to paint the pit and are having trouble with the prep part. Getting all of the rust off of it is going to take forever! Right now we are using a metal grinding disk. Anyone else have any better ideas. We tried metal sandpaper in the palm sander but it didn't do anything.

It would be great to have it sandblasted, but I don't know where you would go to have that done and I have no idea how much it would cost.

Is it necessary to have every bit of rust removed?

Any other ideas on the prep part?

BTW, we are using Rustoleum paint for grills.

allisonandrews said:
We are trying to get ready to paint the pit and are having trouble with the prep part. Getting all of the rust off of it is going to take forever! Right now we are using a metal grinding disk. Anyone else have any better ideas. We tried metal sandpaper in the palm sander but it didn't do anything.

It would be great to have it sandblasted, but I don't know where you would go to have that done and I have no idea how much it would cost.

Is it necessary to have every bit of rust removed?

Any other ideas on the prep part?

BTW, we are using Rustoleum paint for grills.

Allison, I don't know much at all about painting. But I do know you should make sure all of the rust on the exterior should be removed prior to painting. Otherwise you're just painting over the rust and it will continue to eat away and the paint will chip. If I were you I would check with some auto body shops in your area and ask them to give you a quote on getting it prepped for paint. Hope this helps, can't wait to see your pit when it's done!

It would just be a matter of finding the sand blaster. I know you can buy the smaller ones for around $100, so you wouldn't think it would cost that much to have it done.

Any suggestions for types of businesses to call and ask? We live in a small rural town, so our selection is a bit limited.

first, call an equipment rental place and see if you can get one.

If not, call your local yard equipment place and see if they have one.
Ask if they know where to get one.

Then call people who paint vehicles...they can probably refer you to some one.

I live in a small town in NC (when I'm there) and there's a guy that has a moble unit that does all kinds of business. Start with the phone book in any category that might have to do with sandblasting. Then try all the places Cappy suggested.

If you read the Rustoleum paint can, it tells that there is not need to remove all the rust. Remove what you can, wash and dry prior to painting. All metal will eventually rust if subjected to the elements. And since no one I knows has a FoodSaver big enough for their pit, it will rust again. :!:

Back
Top Bottom