gasket for around chamber door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hawk wild bbq co

Senior Cook
I tried to install a fiberglass gasket around the chamber doors the other night and i opened them up tonight and the gasket glue that came with it didnt hold it on. I dont know if I can reuse the gasket or not and if so what can I use to install it that I know will hold. It said on the glue that came with it to heat it to 500 degrees for an hour but of course the chamber wont get that hot. Any suggestions as to what to use next?

Just flip it over and daub it with the red stuff the auto mechanics use. I think its called Loc Tite or similar. They also make blue but the red is much stouter. I cant figger out why folks worry about smoke coming outta the cracks. There is still plenty left to make things smokey. Now my big pit was airtight until a drunk welder warped the door whilst trying to retrofit some fancy racks. Only thing it was good for was if you locked it down you could put out the fire. Now that was a cool trick and come in handy sometimes but not worth going to a lot of trouble to reattain.

I am just trying to keep the heat from escaping from the chamber through the doors. When it was built alot of attention wasnt put into sealing them tight enough. It takes alot to get it to temp and looking for ways to use less fuel. I am also thinking of trying to insulate the firebox.

Clean.clean, clean! If the surface is up to snuff, it will be okay. Use acetone after a wire wheel and dish soap to clean before gluing. I use 3-M weather strip glue. Works for me.

Pigs

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom