FREE???? Sure, I'll Take It!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey_Joe

Head Chef
Someone that came to last Saturdays pig roast calls me this morning and says....
" Hey, you like to BBQ right?...I got this old cooker thing in the backyard that we don't use......if you want it, you're more then welcome to come take it...."
And who can refuse the chance to at least go check out an offer like that?

So I drive to his house and find an old barrel style smoker...brand unknown???? anyone here know? The steel on it is very thick....it easily weighs about 100-110 lbs. or more.

"CLICKABLE" thumbnails

Of course I can't just leave it "store bought".....it needs some "kustomizin'" Smokey_Joe style!!! 8)

First I dug through my scrap and found some thick steel and built a solid box 16"x16"x14" (don't mind the REDNECK cart in the background beside the welder...but it's perfect for making my plasma cutter portable.... ;) )

Cut out a door and made some "hardware" for it. Good ole pipe and giant nail hinge!

Assembled the hinges, vent and latch.

Hung the newly built box on the end of the smoker.

Then made an ash rack in the bottom and cut a hole through into the smoker.

Will post more pics when finished and painted.........

Nice salvage job Joe, i believe that is an old brinkman smoke n pit, i also found one about half that size and used it as my SFB for my barrel smoker
Can't wait for the finished pic's!!

Gave her 3 coats of heat paint and a new Oak table/surface

Went with green, but I think in the spring it will go black (if I can stand the green that long ;) :LOL: )

"CLICKABLE" pictures

brian j said:
[quote="Smokey_Joe":183xqa4x]Thanks ya'll very much! 8)
Fired it up tonight to set the paint and see how she drives......doesn't take much to bring it up to temp...and it holds it pretty well too.
sweet. did you do any of the normal mods like a baffle and lowering the chimney to the grate level?[/quote:183xqa4x]

Speak more of these modifications and thier benefits please.....I've never had one of these lay down type smokers before....not store bought anyhow.

WoW Smokey, That's freakin awesome man!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]

hitched to the kitchen said:
You know what Smokey???.......
When I die...if I been good in life..........I just might get to go to your house!!! :D

Hitch

Ya'll don't have to wait till yer dead...my door's always open to everyone.

Just call a little ahead so I can chain the dog......... ;) :LOL: .......LOL...I wouldn't want her to LICK you to death! :LOL:

SJ... Wow dude... you got some handy tools!!! I love my plasma cutter, gotta buy a new welder thou, my 15+ year old Hobart bit the dust, dont wanna have it repaired again...

Your new Smoker looks good!!! Great craftsman for sure.

Back
Top Bottom