Dream pit...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
Well, Im begining the process of designing my new pit. I was considering going with a square upright type style with the firebox below (like a big square wsm) or with an offset firebox. Any comments or concerns about a square upright as opposed to a round, say 24 inch pipe type build ? Also what do you love or hate about your pit. I made a lot of mistakes on my current pit, but also want to learn from what you guys love or hate about yours.

Whatever I build will be on a trailer with a gas setup for firestarting, waterheating and possably a deep fryer for making wings or frys. There will also be an attatched charchol grill big enough to use at parties.

John: One thing to consider with a square vertical is that you can have your shelf's spaced 10 inches apart. That way if you have hotel pans of product they will fit. Also you can remove shelf's when not needed. Thing I hate most about my pit is sometimes it's not big enough. And other times it's too big. :)
Pigs

Another is, make sure it's big enough for spare ribs ~ 18" is not quite there for me. Remember Shawn W's ohm brisket?? LOL!

No matter which type of smoker you go with, if it has an upright build a square one. There is too much wasted space in a round upright. It is also harder to have slideout shelving which you do want in an upright. Other than that build what you think you would like and don't skimp on the details. Going back for modifications is expensive.

zilla said:
No matter which type of smoker you go with, if it has an upright build a square one. There is too much wasted space in a round upright. It is also harder to have slideout shelving which you do want in an upright. Other than that build what you think you would like and don't skimp on the details. Going back for modifications is expensive.

Unless you have turn table style shelves like mine.

Yes! :razz: But those are really coooooool meat racks. :grin: But will they fit as many racks O ribs as a Square upright? :!: If they were 36" diameter they could hold a bunch. :D

So, it would appear that as I was thinking, an upright would be a good move. I checked out that yellowjacket site and thats basicly what I was thinking. Anyone think of any disadvantages ?

I like the looks and features of the Stumps smokers, thats why I'm building one of my own.

Larry do me a favor, try to cut and paste the link in your browser and see if it works. Just clicking on the link works for me, I don't know what the h*ll is going on.

hrchdog said:
Larry do me a favor, try to cut and paste the link in your browser and see if it works. Just clicking on the link works for me, I don't know what the h*ll is going on.
Dog, I think you need to "Share your Pictures" and email them to yourself... Then post the link you get when you open the email you sent yourself. :!:

Back
Top Bottom