Cooker Pics - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > BBQ Pit Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
Oz
Pork Butt

Cooker Pics

These are of a cooker I started making in 7-06. Close to final, but will be adding / finishing more of it by at least it's first birthday.
www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=wof2bhe.ev ... &y=-ehvre0

Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
Pope O'Que

Nice start...that's going to be a fine cooker.

on the other hand.. you sure ummmmm...... definately have some colors on your house and garage!

The weather is here.... wish you were beautiful

Imagine my disappointment if i were here to make you happy
Smokey_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
Oz
Pork Butt

No Brian, I have made 2 other large cookers both in the early 80's. They were large offsets that my shop fabricated for a bank and a Sugar mill. Both were 48" dia, X 10" long offsets with hydraulic door lifts and rotisseries, end fire basket inserts for chicken in addition to conventional or reverse flow plates and stack arrangements. We (the shop) had a great time building them as we had some healthy budgets associated with some good ole boy welders that had great ideas and no money to do a project like them on their own.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
Oz
Pork Butt

Smokey Joe, I have lived in Fla. most of my life. For as long as I can remember our houses, as well as everybody else's homes, have either been white or some shade of beige (think earth tones here) due to the absorption of heat by a darker color/rejection by a light color thing.
When I put the addition on the house, We added front and rear wrap around porches with decorative columns. When paint time came, my wife brought the endless chips of near color same ole earth tones. I then lovingly, of course sent her back to the paint store with our son and young daughter in tow as color consultants with explicit instructions to return with COLORS, not tones of dirt! They returned with the colors you see. I was shocked at first, but it was a family adventure and on the walls the paint went. We have a metal roof that brings it together well.
It does take some getting used to, but a cool beverage on a hot summers day bring you right around. We enjoy the comments by visitors when they see it for the first time.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
Pope O'Que

I didn't mean it as a "bust", I meant it as more of a WOW! I figured kids MUST HAVE been involved... I know if my kids wanted to paint our house purple , I'd probably let them. After all they are just kids, and only kids once.... and paint is cheap to change it when they tire of it.

The same thing happens with houses around here in Massachusetts that are of the Victorian era... I've never seen so many different colors get put on one house in my life... bright ones too!

What do you reckon' that pit is going to weigh when finished?

The weather is here.... wish you were beautiful

Imagine my disappointment if i were here to make you happy
Smokey_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
Oz
Pork Butt

No offense taken Joe. If you can't have fun what 's the use?
The general consensus of the weight of these smokers is that they are around 500 lbs. I will weigh it someday, more like when I can get the heavy booger near a scale.