Cliff's new project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Once you build a UDS you tend to go a little nuts.

I have been carrying this tank around in my truck for several months now.

I took the opportunity yesterday to begin to shape it into a work or bbq art.

My original plan was to cut it down to UDS size and model it after a WSM. The point being that if Weber will not come on with a 22" wsm then folks will just build thier own.

The problem is that I cannot weld. There is no small welding shop in this town. On one wants to mess with it. So I am going to nut and bolt the thing together and then find someone to weld it shut later.

I had plans to hinge the lid which may still happen at some point but not for now.

The coolest thing about this tank is the drain. I am looking forward to seeing how well it holds temps without a 1/2 of grease boiling in the bottom.

Nice tank !! How are you going to load meat and fuel? Air venting?
Schit, I feel myself getting sucked into another project that I don't need to do.

Rag said:
Nice tank !! How are you going to load meat and fuel? Air venting?
Schit, I feel myself getting sucked into another project that I don't need to do.

I am going to model it after a WSM/UDS. It will have two or three intakes at the bottom.

I plan to incoporate spin racks.

This looks like a perfect project. If I were closer I'd be glad to help with the welding!

In the last couple of pics you have something that looks like it might be the water pan. Is that the case? If so - will it be too small to keep drippings from hitting the coals?

monty3777 said:
This looks like a perfect project. If I were closer I'd be glad to help with the welding!

In the last couple of pics you have something that looks like it might be the water pan. Is that the case? If so - will it be too small to keep drippings from hitting the coals?

I set a water pan in the bottom to get a general idea of how a charcoal basket will look.

With drum smoking, the fat hitting the coals is where the distinct flavor comes from.

Cliff H. said:
monty3777 said:

I set a water pan in the bottom to get a general idea of how a charcoal basket will look.

With drum smoking, the fat hitting the coals is where the distinct flavor comes from.

I see. It that what the UDS stands for? I've got a lot to learn! :oops:

UDS- Ugly Drum Smoker.

Monty,

I got a wsm after I joined this forum. It is one of the greatest cooking machines ever invented. Just like many other folks I wanted more room. If Weber would come on with a 22" wsm, I would be on it.

Then ProBBQ had an opportunity. but they came out with an 18" also.

Then I read about the Big Drum Smoker.

Then I read about the Ugly Drum Smoker

Then I built one.

Now my uds is my "go to" smoker, until I get a Lang or something. Even IF I should one day have one of the big pullbehind smokers, I am going to request that it be fitted with a way to mount a wsm and a uds. :D

Great job so far Cliff.
Maybe bolt some flat stock around the door opening. Just hold it in a bit so the door will seal better.

monty3777 said:
So, I could also get rid of the pan in the WSM and cook over direct heat - but what about flame ups? is that an issue?

Temps are to low for flare up. I am not saying that it won't happen to you on the first try though. :shock:

Cliff H. said:
Once you build a UDS you tend to go a little nuts.

I have been carrying this tank around in my truck for several months now.

I took the opportunity yesterday to begin to shape it into a work or bbq art.

My original plan was to cut it down to UDS size and model it after a WSM. The point being that if Weber will not come on with a 22" wsm then folks will just build thier own.
The problem is that I cannot weld. There is no small welding shop in this town. On one wants to mess with it. So I am going to nut and bolt the thing together and then find someone to weld it shut later.

I had plans to hinge the lid which may still happen at some point but not for now.

The coolest thing about this tank is the drain. I am looking forward to seeing how well it holds temps without a 1/2 of grease boiling in the bottom.

I still don't see any 22" WSM's out there but there is now a 20" and you can buy additional sections and stack them:

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/ProQ_BB ... xcel20.htm

Available this July

Back
Top Bottom