building my first smoker...HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey_Joe

Head Chef
gwapo-gorilla said:
Hi everyone, my name is Mark and I am new to this forum, I am also getting ready to build a large scale grill/smoker…my first! I have a 250 gallon or a 200 gallon LP tank available for use, but before I start, I need some good information to help me decide on the size and design of the rig.
So, if some of you that have built some of these bigger units, or just have experience, would give me some sound input, I sure would appreciate it.

Yes, I know it is a lot of questions, but I am in need of some sound advice and input. I am paying the “exâ€

I don't know a thing about building a pit or cutting into a propane tank. But I would Highly Refer you to Bill The Grill Guy for advice BEFORE you start cutting. There are some hazards involved in cutting an LP tank. Bill has built several smokers out of old propane tanks and is a Professional Firefighter as well, so please heed whatever warnings he gives you. We don't want to lose any members!

If Bill doesn't respond to this, just PM him, he's a good guy and will be glad to help you.

Good point Larry!

Bill The Grill Guy said:
Boy, this is a tough one. I got deleted that last time I answered a post like this on another forum. Thank God there is this site.

First of all I want to say that my wife works for a propane company and her boss is the leading expert in the region. He told me how to do this.

Fill tank with water and lots of bleach. let it sit for several weeks with all the holes open. Empty the tank and cut with a Zip Wheel on a hand grinder.

I have done a lot of these without a single problem. Now, thats not to say that someone else may have one. I am not responsable for anyone but my self.

Read more here.... http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5458

Back
Top Bottom