BBQ Central "Official" UDS Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK guys, I am building a UDS for the first time. Some questions first. Do I make all my holes and cuts first then have the drum sandblasted? I am going to hi-temp powdercoat the drum, do I also pc the inside? Please help

I would not waste money on powder coat, just paint it. Also if you are thinking about PC the inside, DON'T!!!!! What they don't tell you about powder coating is that it is actually plastic, and if you use a normal home oven to powder coat, you can no longer use that oven for food. As for holes, and cut edges, do those first. They will leave a rough edge that will need to be sanded down.

I would really reconsider the powder coating thing and just paint it. Paint cost alot less, and if you scratch it is easily fixed, if you scratch powder coat, you have to re-coat the whole damned thing. I have powder-coated my computer builds for years, and it is very impractical, and very expensive for a UDS. You may want to research it a bit more.

Last edited:
No re coat. put your bottom vent in along with your bottom grate, chuck in some good size hunks of wood, add a few chimneys if lump and let her rip. This is the only time I see it fit to buy a small can of lighter fluid! :LOL:

Pigs

Look what Sandy Claws left for me. I bought the drum and have had the drill forever, but Sandy left me the rest. Now, if I can just find some time to drill about 100 holes (no, I didn't really count. I hope that number is a little high).

Just finished laying them all out. 63 total, 17 will be 3/4" and the rest (46) will be 1/4". Unfortunately, I can't drill inside 'cuz the shavings can get lost in the carpet and it's raining outside. :(

This will include the hinge for the lid, a bottle opener, 2 racks and a thermometer.

Back
Top Bottom