BBQ Central "Official" UDS Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pic taken last Saturday while doing my first burn in my new UDS. It is seasoned and ready to cook on now. I'm going to paint it Sunday....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning everyone?Fixing to prep my ribs?It's going to be a great day of college football, beer drinking and Smokin Q !!! Geaux LSU !!!

Promises to be a good game and sounds like your "Tailgate" will start early. I don't have ribs on, but do have plenty of beer, I'll be watching. Have fun with that new UDS, don't forget the finished pictures, make sure there are some plated pictures.

You got it!

My first cook on my UDS! The cooker held 250 all day, never once had to adjust my air vents. The flavor was awesome. I used the 3-2-1 method but they were under cooked so I put them back on the smoker for another hour and a half to get the texture that I was looking for. The ribs tasted great but they barely had a smoke ring. Not sure how that happened after being in the smoker for 7.5 hours... Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!

Congrats on the fine cooking. Glad to hear the UDS did good. Never knowed anybody who much bothered to look for smoke rings on ribs. Thats usually considered a brisket thang at least in this neck of the woods. What normally messes up smoke rings on briskets is some kinda funky marinate on the front end. Did you marinate the ribs in anything prior to cooking?

I put a thick coat of dry rub on the ribs about 2 hours before putting them on. Their was about an 1/8 in. of smoke penetration, I was expecting more.

Well doubt the rub messed up the ring. The only useful smoke you got on it was before it went in the foil (as least as applies to making a smoke ring on it) and if there was liquid in there with it could have gave it a washout type scenario. Long as they tasted good I wouldnt worry about it. If I was worried believe I would cook them meat side down and nekked the entire time..until they was done..then wrap and stick in the hot box for an hour at least. Drag em back out to the fire for a sweet glaze at the end. If that dont put some red on em I will volunteer Nick to kiss Puff on the rectal area at the County Courthouse Lawn next Saturday at high noon. Let me know. Thanks.

Ok! Thanks!
a6cd0830-f8f9-d884.jpg

Looking good. Little black. Bones aint poking out willy nilly which is a good sign it didnt get too hot. Hopefully you did not listen to Mr. Buckethead about using cheery wood. Just trying to cover all the bases here.

No cherry, just used lump hard wood and hickory chunks. Not sure why they turned black.

Hey Greg! Love your radio show, I never miss it! I put the sauce on for the last hour. I never sauce until after taking them out of the foil.

Re: BBQ Central "Official" UDS Thread

John, glad you like the show! I sauce mine the last 20min... If the sauce has a high sugar content (and most do) it will burn on the ribs. Maybe you had it on a little long?

Sent From My HTC Inspire

If I read my source correctly, the smoke ring comes from the lack of oxygen that is created from the smoke, more smoke doesn't mean better taste, too much smoke makes bitter eats... but by theory, more smoke = less oxygen around the meat = thicker smoke ring.

but yea, ribs are obsolete in this theory... pork butts and briskets is when reading the smoke ring and comparing the taste is important... bigger isn't always bettter!

-peace

Back
Top Bottom