Barrel grill question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backyardbbq

Senior Cook
I'm in the process of turning a 55 gallon drum into a grill, needed a reason to practice welding. I'm ready to do the intake and exhaust but I'm not sure what set up I should do. I've seen some grills with two intakes on opposite ends and an exhaust centered on the lid. Then there is the classic one intake and one exhaust on opposite ends. What are the pro cons of either set up?

I'm planning on using this as a chicken cooker and well any thing else when I need a grill to feed an army. I've got pics of the progress so far and I will try and get those uploaded soon.

I have no clue, but I've seen them with the exhaust screwed into one of the threaded openings in the lid, using reducer bushings. Seems like I've also seen a 2" nipple welded into the side, near the bottom with a ball valve on it for the air inlet. But like I said, I have no idea. :?

Look what I found...http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20580

I'd bet it's in there somewhere. ;) :LOL:

Good luck with your quest.

BOB

My drum has 4, 3/4" intakes which is over kill. I would go with 3 3/4" intakes. That should be more than enough. When I was running with the drum lid I just threaded a 2" nipple into the bung hole. Now I use a kettle lid and the exhaust vent on the lid work just fine.

Here's the photos I promised. The photos make it look decent, but I can tell you I have a long way to go for decent welds.
img_248888_0_ae75555ad79374f30c7a53723cfbf4f1.jpg

The base is from an old Weber platinum that I had robbed the lid and grates from to build a double rack UDS.
img_248888_1_d57ceb0786be5b061208d4ba210f6f26.jpg

I used some chain welded to the top and bottom to hold the lid and attached a handle. I'm hoping to get to making the grates sometime in the next couple of weeks.
img_248888_2_b29d8923d6b75233f5088dc843520486.jpg

you are on the right track. I've been cooken on mine for years. Click on the link in my signature and you'll see where I got mine. Also search my posts and you'll see lots of photos of my cooks on it. Even a Santa Maria attachment. The bung hole is the intake as you have your's. Then and exhaust on top (pipe) You need to grind out that paint. Unless you cook with Kingsford then it wont matter cause the stink and chemicals from it will overtake any fumes from burning paint! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom