Backwoods Smokers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John20

Assistant Cook
What do y'all know or hear about the Backwoods Smokers? I was thinking about buying the Party model for competition cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure of the suitability of particular models and sizes for a particular task but have never heard anything but good reports on BWS's in general. Know they seem to be popular with the comp cooks in this area. Don't think a person could go wrong by snagging one.

Who's Finney .. wasn't he on the original BBQC Round Table ;) There are a lot of guys I miss around here, seems all those West-coasters moved on :(

BTW John sorry I can't help with the Backwoods if it is not a Weber I'm lost, but I'm guessing BW knows his stuff.

I bought one last winter to play around with...it's
a nice cooker, lots of championships are won with it.

I ended up selling it, but it's a nice cooker.

Now pray tell whut was it about the critter which would make a bbq afficionado such as yourself prone to go into the selling mode? Now I do know they can get a bit intense when the ones with the funky water pan run dry. I could help them folks reinjuner that puppy and knock thousands off the production cost and prob peddle them for two hundred bucks brand new in the box. If you have any capital give me a shout.

I cook KCBS competition on a Backwoods Party and have done so for about 4 years. I love the cooker and it is very easy to handle.

Fwiw,

The American Royal Invitational Winner cooked on a Backwoods Fatboy

The American Royal Open Winner cooked on a Backwoods Fatboy

The Sam's Club National Champion cooked on a Backwoods Fatboy

The Jack Daniels World Champion cooked on a Backwoods Fatboy

The Backwoods Fatboy and the Backwoods Party are about the same size as far as the capacity is measured but the Party is about 150 pounds lighter which makes it easier to handle. Either one would make you a great backyard or competition cooker.

Thanks for the reply ! Did you go with 1inch or 2inches of insulation? How much charcoal will it hold? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigwheel said:
Now pray tell whut was it about the critter which would make a bbq afficionado such as yourself prone to go into the selling mode? Now I do know they can get a bit intense when the ones with the funky water pan run dry. I could help them folks reinjuner that puppy and knock thousands off the production cost and prob peddle them for two hundred bucks brand new in the box. If you have any capital give me a shout.

well I had retired from the comp circuit, and I'm more of a griller than a smoker.
Plus I still had my wsms. I later sold the 22.
But mainly cause I live a half mile from the Atlantic, and anything metal is gonna rust
outside. I couldn't keep it inside. I bought it in rough shape, sanded it and painted it
and sold it for more than I bought it.

Well arent you just the Mr. Fixit type. I always buy high and sell low. Had a fella maybe on another list complaining about cheesy grates on his model...think it was the Fatboy. Showed a closeup and would agree one hundred percent on his assesment. Looked about like the grates in my 50 buck electric Royal Oak brand. Did you like your grates? Do we need to go biotch slap that coonass who makes em and tell him to put some good grates in there? Kindly let know. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom