1st WSM Mods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokemaster

Senior Cook
A couple of pics of the mods to my WSM.

Closed position indicator for door.

Wood handles (from my retired ECB), sanded and stained. Metal was sanded, painted with High Temp paint and clear coated.

Clay pot base: 36cm/14.25 inches

Perfect fit in original water pan

Doesn't disturb the bottom grate at all

I'll foil the clay bottom before I use it.

I'm using Maverick ET-73 for the top, bottom grates and meat. Haven't cooked with it yet. Tried sand in my ECB and hated it. I'll use just the pot with the WSM.

Diva Q said:
Too high temps.

I like everything low and slow and

Sand does not make your temps hotter if you control the temps on the way up. Sand can only radiate the heat you put under it, it will not make your pit hotter. Sand helps maitain and baffle the heat from the food.

I really like the clay pot idea!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Diva Q":3cdipbws]Too high temps.

I like everything low and slow and

Sand does not make your temps hotter if you control the temps on the way up. Sand can only radiate the heat you put under it, it will not make your pit hotter. Sand helps maitain and baffle the heat from the food.

I really like the clay pot idea![/quote:3cdipbws]

I think part of my message got cut off?? I have a heck of a time with controlling them on the way up and then trying to get them back down.
With the water it is never an issue so I figure if I don't have to fight it then I will just use water.

I think Brian is right I really need to study more !!!

I had been told about the clay pot a few times and I didn't know anyone had done it so I am interested to see the results

Nice! I should have saved the handles off my old Brinkmann Gourmet (all I recycled was the two cooking grates) - those look much better than the garage-door handles. How did you make the "closed" indicator on the knob? I used a hacksaw to cut a shallow groove, and filled it in with white paint.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom